FORUMS: list search recent posts

crash

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
devon leesley
crash
on Nov 13, 2010 at 7:14:03 pm

After a year and a half of filming our movie and 35k later. Our movie is pulverized. I asked my trainers at the start at Apple if I was doing everything right so there would be no surprises at the end of the day. Well they failed to tell me a couple of things. Don't use idvd. Use studio pro instead. Also put all your files and project on an external harddrive from the start.
What happenned is my film would go out of sinc 3 quarters of the way in on a dvd, not on the timeline. So we sent it to compresser in order to send it to studio pro and try it there. Well, guess what. Something wrong with compresser. So now my help at Apple sent everything over to my external drive in order to free up computer harddrive so we could revamp the FCP software. In the process the software crashed along with our project. Can I sue for misinformation? I don't know.
Thank God I did make dvd copy of final product before this all transpired. But it still goes out of sinc on dvd to tv. It is perfect on a projector system however. Not giving up. Not by a long shot.Be warned. Your teachers don't know everything.Have a nice day.

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
Re: crash
on Nov 13, 2010 at 7:20:22 pm

What's your point of whining here?

Fact: You did NOT follow "best practices" of data protection. You're now trying to blame Apple or some
"teacher" for your own mistakes. If you want to call yourself a "filmmaker" then the responsibility is on YOUR shoulders to seek out and find the best information available for what you're trying to accomplish.

Don't start pointing fingers at others. If you want the glory of being a "director", accept the responsibility for EVERYTHING... that includes what went wrong.

Consider this a "learning experience".

Mark

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Nov 13, 2010 at 7:44:37 pm

Without knowing the particulars of your format, system etc, this is all a guess. But this sounds like some pretty straight forward operator errors, that can be fixed.
There are probably several things in combination that are causing your woes, and it is probably both in how your system is set up, and your workflow.
The good news is, as long as you have your original source material, and the timeline with your edits, it can most likely be fixed.
It think you could hire an experienced editor to come in for a couple of days and get this done. Or you could sit back, take a deep breath, do some research and reading, and teach yourself how to fix this, and learn where you went wrong.

If what you said is true, there are several things that make me think your training , and advice on how to set up your system and workflow, is suspect, at best.
I'm not a fan of the whole apple certified thing, as it neither makes you an editor, nor gives you real world problem solving skills, although it can teach how to pass a certification test, which was probably out of date five minutes after it was written. The best way to learn is by doing, and working with others that have practical, real world experience. That being said, it is not their (your trainers) fault, it's yours, for dumping 35K into a project and assuming you new all there was to know because you were 'trained'. That training should be thought of as simply a license to learn.
The warning to all out there should be, get your feet wet, before you jump into a big gig.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 13, 2010 at 10:22:42 pm

Firstly, good on you for seeking advice in pre production. The fact that this advice was not good advice could have been resolved by searching the internet and finding resources like Creative Cow. It is a pity you waited till things went wrong to find out that there are heaps of working professionals who so freely give advice on this and other forums. We often learned the hard way in the pre internet era where it was difficult or costly to pay for the wealth of advice now available. We all made mistakes which cost us time, money and reputation so that is why we help others.

So don't just drop in here and whinge. Forget suing and take responsibility. Find out the best workflows, build you knowledge and experience and then help others to avoid your costly mistakes.

Return to posts index

devon leesley
on Nov 13, 2010 at 11:20:47 pm

You are assuming that I assumed that I knew everything. If that were so, I wouldn't have been taking classes on a regular basis. All I am saying is the I was not told to things when I started. They are telling me those 2 things now. I asked them at the start. THey said nothing. No, i am not whining, simply warning others of those 2 things that lead to the demise of project. Now to add insult to injury may be some folk's gig and joy, well I cannot work or talk with such folks.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 14, 2010 at 12:52:11 am

Devon,

You said that people at Apple gave you training, and while I too applaud you for seeking knowledge, I\\\'m sorry to say, but it sounds like you went to the wrong place to receive that knowledge. Apple builds computers and develops software, they are neither professional editors or professional trainers. If anyone at Apple suggested they could train you in all the necessary areas to technically pull off post of a feature film, they evidently have either an inflated view of their own knowledge and understanding, or a lack of appreciation for the body of knowledge that\\\'s required of professional filmmakers, or both.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]