FORUMS: list search recent posts

PRORES HQ Noisy ON EXPORT

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elmer Postle
PRORES HQ Noisy ON EXPORT
on Nov 12, 2010 at 12:33:19 pm

Dear Forum Members,

I am coming across a strange problem with Prores HQ. I shot footage on a p2 varicam, all went well. I got a plug in from PANASONIC which allows the .mxf files to be imported (in log and Transfer) and turned into Prores HQ. I shifted the frame rate in Cinema tools from 23.98 to 25 P. All well, so far. In Final Cut Pro they look as they should and I expect them to, great with good blacks, minimum noise, edit fine.

When I create a Quicktime Movie of a clip (in 'current settings' for eg), with effects, it looks indistinguishable with the original when opened within Final Cut Pro. However, when I create a 'same setting' or (in this case Prores HQ 720 25p) self-contained file, they play poorly with lots of shadow noise in Quicktime player, on two separate machines, (both of which happen to have FCP).

Exporting to a Broadcast format/output( for client use in a variety of settings) is hazardous at the moment because of this. I have found MXF4MAC offer an 'edit in MXF' plug in but/and that is nearly £500.00 and may not actually solve the problem.

The footage looks good in FCP but not when exported, it seems to be recompressing itself or something, the blacks and shadows become alive with noise.

I thought it might be an out of date QT player, but, on a bang up to date version I get the problem. Any thoughts?

Elmer

APPLE Quad Core, 3TB, FCP 6.0.6
Owl Productions

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: PRORES HQ Noisy ON EXPORT
on Nov 12, 2010 at 4:05:54 pm

#49 - Quicktime movie lighter than what I see in FCP.

Shane's Stock Answer #49 - Why is the Quicktime Movie I made much lighter than what I see in my timeline in FCP?

Because it is designed to be bright enough to be seen on most monitors, some that might be too dark. But, if you want to see the same image you see in your FCP timeline, just open Quicktime, and in the Quicktime Player's preferences window under the General tab you can choose to Enable Final Cut Studio color compatibility.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 12, 2010 at 4:22:28 pm

..or upgrade to Snow Leopard (gamma 2.2 native).
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mike Krause
on Nov 13, 2010 at 9:14:35 pm

ProRes has issues with crushed blacks and it artifacts (horizontal likes and blocking) like mad when there's not enough info in the blacks for it to fill in picture info. For many things ProRes is a great codec, but when you're working with media that is really dark it ain't.

I'm told ProRes4444 handles low and crushed black levels much better than HQ, but I have yet to do a thorough test on my own gear to verify this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]