FORUMS: list search recent posts

Difficulty Replacing Source Footage in the timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Rose
Difficulty Replacing Source Footage in the timeline
on Nov 12, 2010 at 6:13:03 am

Hi,

I am having an issue replacing source footage in 4 timelines in my project.

I originally ripped footage off of a clients DVD using MPEG Streamclip, and it's in one long file, DV-NTSC @ 29.97 Drop. The client did not have access to the source footage at the time and this is why I took it off the DVD.

There were 4 clips to be edited off of the DVD, so, I edited footage in 4 seperate sequences for this project.

Client was not happy about the way it looked and went and got the source footage, which is in 4 files. These files match up to the 4 sequences I used. Files were in WMV format, I saved them as MOV with Quicktime X. They had a frame rate of 30.27 fps, I used compressor to convert them to 29.97 DV NTSC-Anamorphic to match the DVD footage I ripped.

Here's what I've done so far, using sequence 1 as an experiment.

1. Made a backup of my FCP project file.
2. Confirmed that the new footage and old footage were drop frame (both DV-NTSC anamorphic)
3. Did a "Modify Timecode" on the NEW clip so that the timecode is the same on the new file as on the file I ripped off of the DVD. Used first frame of video to match this.
4. Went into the timeline, did a Select All, and "Reconnect Media".
5. DVD file came up, did Locate... unchecked matched name and reel only.
6. Selected the new file.
7. SNAG: The error "The File does not have proper content to reconnect to "BIN NAME" at time 01:00:04;05 in sequence "SEQ NAME". Click OK to make this item indepentent and go to the next clip or Cancel to skip all clips from this file.
8. Of course, this occured many times and the old footage was NOT replaced by the new footage at all.

I did some searching and I guess I'm supposed to use Media Manager? Is that right? Can someone explain how to do this please?

If I should be using a different workflow please advise.

Thanks.

Edit: The old and new media is in a different relative path on the drive.
In the FCP project, the New footage, the old footage and the sequence are all in different bins.
I confirmed that the ends of the clip match up properly timecode wise, not just the start of the clips.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Difficulty Replacing Source Footage in the timeline
on Nov 12, 2010 at 7:36:33 am

Unless the frame frame rate, start and end timecode, DURATION and reel number match...FCP will not connect to the footage. Any of those things differ, it won't. Media Manager doesn't come into play here, not the way you've done things. Either you manually replace, or you get this software that does that magic for you:

http://www.videotoolshed.com/?page=products&pID=41

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rick Rose
on Nov 12, 2010 at 12:36:43 pm

thanks for letting me know. Appreciated.

Return to posts index

Rick Rose
on Nov 13, 2010 at 4:45:36 am

Thanks Shane. I had a long think about what you wrote, and it helped solve the problem based on what Final Cut requires.

I put the DVD file down in a sequence, put the new footage overtop, and exported a self contained movie. I made sure all the frames matched up, and the timecode was right.

Worked like a charm.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]