FORUMS: list search recent posts

Many small shadows

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Abbott
Many small shadows
on Nov 11, 2010 at 6:00:32 pm

Quick question. Shadows?

I was dealt a harsh hand when a client gave me a video to edit and whoever shot it left shadows everywhere they shouldn't be. Annoying. I've tried color correction but have never been given anything this drastic.

I'm not looking for a "magic" plugin that will correct the video itself then get me Taco Bell. Unless there is one, then... :)

Anyone have suggestions before I call the client about the situation? Even if it's something that might make it better would help a lot.

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
Re: Many small shadows
on Nov 11, 2010 at 6:25:25 pm

I don't know what you mean by "left shadows everywhere they shouldn't be."

Can't suggest a good workaround until I know what you're trying to reduce.

Return to posts index

Nathan Abbott
on Nov 11, 2010 at 6:41:03 pm

Yes, you make a valid point. When looking at the subject, there is a hard shadow cast by his head onto his shoulder and rolling over to the wall behind him. For the most part, he is stationary. It's a promotional interview so it's not "creative" lighting. Just bad lighting. It's like they did a two light setup--room lights and a hard key light.

I hope this can give you an idea for a workaround, if possible.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Nov 11, 2010 at 7:06:50 pm

When you have questions like this, its always best to post a sample of what your dealing with, so without seeing what you do...
Life has shadows.
You can play with mid-range and blacks a little to reduce contrast, but once its on tape, it there. Reshoot is the answer.
Or...
Maybe its best to just edit it as is. If the client isn't complaining, it isn't always the best idea to criticize others work unnecessarily. Perhaps circumstances of the budget, time, or location caused what you see.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]