FORUMS: list search recent posts

Perspective/time displacement

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hayden Martin
Perspective/time displacement
on Nov 11, 2010 at 5:04:10 pm

OK. now this is tricky. In this video for Foreign Beggars feat. Nosia, they appear to be using some kind of displacement effect to distort the perspective.

HERE (0:30)

To me, I feel they could have filmed with a fisheye lense and are simply 'flattening' the bulge digitally. but that still does not explane the interesting motion...

If you know, or have any ideas on how to create this effect it'd be majorly helpful as I intend to use it in a promo for Canon and the roughcut deadline is soon!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Perspective/time displacement
on Nov 11, 2010 at 5:43:33 pm

That's an IN CAMERA effect...some sort of lens. Looks like it's not attached to the camera in a traditional way either.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Nov 11, 2010 at 7:34:11 pm

It looks like they have a thread mounted 'wide eye' on the front of a zoom, or a series of different focal length primes.
At :29 you can see some vignetting.
And probably some post on top of all this.
Yeah, it's just a guess, yeah.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Hayden Martin
on Nov 11, 2010 at 10:53:42 pm

hmmmmmmm. ok. i've done some research. still no information regarding the effect, or possible motor used to zoom in/out that fast..

Have you ever seen something like this before?
i think it could be post as the footage is in ultra slow motion - besides, how would a camera be able to control a lens so fast it appears to 'wobble' quickly (in slo-mo)?

the artists 'foreign beggars' are underground and their video's are usually lo-fi. it strikes me as odd that they'd all of a sudden get an fx laden music video, thats mainly why i think it's post as i can imagine it being cheaper...

would love to hear some more from you guys!

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Nov 12, 2010 at 2:58:44 am

I watched it again, and perhaps a Lensbaby or some other type of shift lens was used.
http://lensbaby.com/lenses.php?fma2

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Hayden Martin
on Nov 12, 2010 at 10:08:50 am

yeah thats a point.. but my mate has one of those, and he said it wont emulate that effect - he said it's mainly for achieving 'alternative'/vintage style shots with blurred edges OR getting that Thunderbirds scaled down look..

When i look at it, i think, maybe he has a motorized lens that is physically swapping from wide to really wide - maybe it's plastic and physically bending? I contacted the director in an email to see what he has to say... Hopefully he'll reveal his secret! He directed this video too with similar effects:

(2:30)

Return to posts index

Hayden Martin
on Nov 12, 2010 at 10:19:21 am

Canon 17mm Tilt-Shift Lens

this is very interesting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]