FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Final Cut SAN setup & workflow?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Dorough
Best Final Cut SAN setup & workflow?
on Nov 11, 2010 at 2:31:36 pm

I've been on Avids for years but now need to venture into unfamiliar territory. I need to set up four Final Cut systems with a shared storage system. Simply stated...

1) What are the components that I need? Can you suggest reliable name brands of equipment and/or who to work with/buy from?

2) How easily can editors work on the same project? Avid's wonderful with handing off bins and tossing pieces back and forth. Is FCP friendly in this way? Or is sharing sequences a pain in the rump?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Best Final Cut SAN setup & workflow?
on Nov 11, 2010 at 3:00:45 pm

[Bob Dorough] "1) What are the components that I need? Can you suggest reliable name brands of equipment and/or who to work with/buy from?"

5,000 answers for that one depending on your formats, data storage needed, data rate, number of workstations today and future, etc......

We run Final Share SAN from Maxx Digital. This is an ethernet based storage system where we have 32TB of Shared Storage connected to 7 workstations. These are a combination of Mac Pros and iMacs and occassionally we throw a MacBook Pro in there as well. That's the beauty of ethernet, we can connect pretty much any Mac to the network.

In our case, we edit ProRes HD 720 and 1080 all day long on the workstations and it more than meets our needs.

[Bob Dorough] "2) How easily can editors work on the same project? Avid's wonderful with handing off bins and tossing pieces back and forth. Is FCP friendly in this way? Or is sharing sequences a pain in the rump?"

FCP is quite easy to share across multiple editors. In our case we have up to three editors working on the same documentaries simultaneously.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Bob Dorough
on Nov 11, 2010 at 3:42:16 pm

Thanks for the reply Walter. What is your workflow process for sharing sequences? For example, right now in an Avid project I have 50 timelines. In Final Cut, how would I get just one of those timelines to another editor and get it back in after he makes his revisions?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 11, 2010 at 3:54:18 pm

[Bob Dorough] "Thanks for the reply Walter. What is your workflow process for sharing sequences? For example, right now in an Avid project I have 50 timelines. In Final Cut, how would I get just one of those timelines to another editor and get it back in after he makes his revisions?"

Two ways.

One - Create a new Project in FCP, drag the Sequence into that Project. Close. Have the other editor open the project and Drag the sequence in.

Two (easier) - Your other editor opens your project and drags the Sequence directly into their project. That's what we do here.

In FCP you can have as many Projects open as you want at the same time. I use that workflow to my advantage here all the time. So just open the two projects, drag between and keep going.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Bob Dorough
on Nov 11, 2010 at 3:59:50 pm

Sounds simple enough.

Are RAIDs, switches & server software pretty much all the same across brands? Seems like there are a lot of companies out there all offering the same thing... Apple, Rorke, Maxx Digital, Active Storage, etc...

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 11, 2010 at 4:05:20 pm

[Bob Dorough] "Are RAIDs, switches & server software pretty much all the same across brands? Seems like there are a lot of companies out there all offering the same thing... Apple, Rorke, Maxx Digital, Active Storage, etc..."

There are some like components in all of them, but each has their own way of setting up. For instance the Final Share SAN from Maxx Digital requires zero additional software to manage and operate the SAN.

Many of the SANs out there are based on Fibre Channel which is much more expensive, but of course, much faster to each workstation.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 11, 2010 at 4:06:05 pm

Here's my article on how the Final Share SAN works.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/biscardi_walter/media_san.php

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 11, 2010 at 4:44:25 pm

A lot of these questions are covered in depth on the COW's SAN - Storage Area Networks forum.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Nov 11, 2010 at 5:34:19 pm

Just a note regarding sharing projects in Final Cut Pro. As I did before and as I presume things still work is any amount of people can have a single project file open, however any amount of people could also save the document and thus the last person who saved it will affect every other user that access that file. This can be used to you advantage but you also have to understand that two people can't work in the same project at the same time and both also SAVE their work, hence you need to split your project into separate files at some point if that makes sense.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Post Production Services
http://www.freecloud.se

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 12, 2010 at 12:47:05 am

[Erik Lindahl] "This can be used to you advantage but you also have to understand that two people can't work in the same project at the same time and both also SAVE their work, hence you need to split your project into separate files at some point if that makes sense."

The easy way to handle this is to simply assign a letter to the end of the project name for each editor with only one MASTER project.

So you have Project Name MASTER, Project Name A, Project Name B, etc... So we're all working on the same main project but we can't accidentally erase one another's work.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Nov 12, 2010 at 8:52:51 am

That's exactly what we did as well which worked wonderful.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Nov 12, 2010 at 9:01:10 am

That's exactly what we did as well which worked wonderful.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]