FORUMS: list search recent posts

Crashing Mac Pro wi

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Watt
Crashing Mac Pro wi
on Nov 11, 2010 at 12:13:41 am

Editing one hour show with XDCAM EX 1080/60i HQ VBR video on Pro Res HQ timeline.

Machine is Mac pro Dual quad core 2.3 GHZ, 10 GB ram, FCP 7.0., Newest QT and pro app, & Kona III card. Video drive is Apple Xserve raid, tested with Kona speed test at write 340.2 MB/s, read 282.3 MB/S

This is the second of 5 one hour shows and I'm going crazy with crashes. Everything stays pretty stable for the first 15-20 minutes of the show on the timeline, but now at about 20 minutes in I'm getting crashes every 10-20 minutes.

The first show I tried editing on a DVCPROHD timeline because that's the final delivery to HDNET. That show was a nightmare so I figured I'd try using a proRes HQ timeline instead then convert at the end. Running into the same problems and I've edited 2 dozen one hour shows using the ProRes timeline with no problems.

The one thing I've done that is different is use the Coremelt plugin for luma levels and a few sky replace shots (I'm color correcting as I go either with the Coremelt plugin for luma or the FCP 3 way color corrector).

I'm also getting a lot of "out of memory" warnings when I try to render which requires a restart of FCP and it seems to go fine.

I tried setting up a new user, trashing preferences and I don't really have time to reformat my system drive and reinstall FCP, at least at this moment.

Any ideas?

Thanks...jw

Producer/DP, HD series, "Discoveries...America", "Discoveries...Ireland", "Discoveries...Spain",
"Discoveries...Argentina", Discoveries...India", "Discoveries...Asia", "Discoveries...Africa"

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Crashing Mac Pro wi
on Nov 11, 2010 at 12:35:06 am

Several people have been reporting crashes with XDCAM EX, but the other issues you're having with DVCProHD and ProRes HQ point to something more sinister with your computer, as they are both fairly easy codecs to deal with, requiring no extraordinary hardware.

BTW, going to ProRes HQ is overkill. ProRes 422 is more than adequate and the non-HQ version of the codec has fewer problems for most people too.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Nov 11, 2010 at 1:40:39 am

FCP 7.03 had lots of good bugfixes.

Return to posts index

Jim Watt
on Nov 11, 2010 at 3:31:31 pm

Thanks..I'm using 7.0.3, just missed the key stroke.

Producer/DP, HD series, "Discoveries...America", "Discoveries...Ireland", "Discoveries...Spain",
"Discoveries...Argentina", Discoveries...India", "Discoveries...Asia", "Discoveries...Africa"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]