FORUMS: list search recent posts

brightness change on playback

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matt thomas
brightness change on playback
on Nov 10, 2010 at 11:25:34 pm

Hi

I am doing my first real project in Final Cut. When playing back the brightness of my video is darker than when playback is stopped on any given frame. This makes it quite a pain to check colours..

I have been learning about codecs etc throughout this process (I am normally an audio professional, anyone got any questions about audio, I'm your man, lol). It seems to be all working well now except for the problem described above, but its possible I've done something weird or stupid along the way, does anyone have any ideas what's going on?

thanks in advance

Matt

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: brightness change on playback
on Nov 10, 2010 at 11:49:56 pm

This says BLURRY playback, but also pertains to the brightness shift.

#2 Blurry Playback

Shane's Stock Answer #2: Blurry/Low Quality playback

ONLY JUDGE THE QUALITY OF YOUR MATERIAL ON AN EXTERNAL BROADCAST MONITOR, OR AT LEAST A TV.

Video playback requires large amounts of data and many computations. In order to maintain frame rate and be viewable at a normal size, only about one-fourth of the video data is used in displaying the movie to the screen. However, the footage is still at full quality, and is best viewed thru a TV or broadcast monitor.

The Canvas shows you what happens after the codec you are working with has been applied. The Viewer shows you the material in its native format. Once you drop the footage from the Viewer into the timeline, it inherits the attributes of the sequence. If it is a DV sequence, the footage will render out as DV.

Make sure you've rendered everything (no green bars at the top of the timeline).

ALSO...fast drives will make the brightness shift go away. But again, this is ONLY for playback, it isn't really happening.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

matt thomas
on Nov 10, 2010 at 11:58:58 pm

Thank Shane, I appreciate it.

Unfortunately I don't have a set up suitable for easily outputting to a TV.

It is fully rendered according to the timeline (no green bars etc)

It is playing off the internal drive on an 8-core MacPro with plenty of RAM. Perhaps I should try putting it on another drive..

Your reply says "it isn't really happening". So do I understand this correctly if this means I should only worry about the colour on the paused frames, and not during playback?

thanks
Matt

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 11, 2010 at 5:01:57 pm

[matt thomas] "Your reply says "it isn't really happening". So do I understand this correctly if this means I should only worry about the colour on the paused frames, and not during playback?"

Correct.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 11, 2010 at 12:07:39 am

[matt thomas] "does anyone have any ideas what's going on?"

Tell us what you've learned.

What codec is your footage? Your timeline? How'd did the media get in to the system?

Return to posts index

matt thomas
on Nov 11, 2010 at 12:32:11 am

Ha, now I'm going to be busted!

Actually I did the first part of it with a friend, so I don't know the whole process as he did some of it. Its a music video, it's meant to be played on MTV in europe in the end, my friend has made a few music videos before, albeit low budget ones, he is a student of a 3D animation, and not a professional.

I also don't have it in front of me at the moment so I can't check stuff, but from memory:

It was shot on a Cannon SLR something, 550D maybe.

My friend converted it from the Cannons format (whatever that was) to suitable for FCP. We had this playing of an external firewire drive, I didn't notice any brightness change going on in FCP.

I did a basic edit.

He imported the edit into After Effects (not sure what format, I didn't do it) for some effects. After after effects we then had to output it as a PNG sequence, because his computer crashed every time we tried outputting it as a film.

I then export the PNG sequence to Quicktime and export as apple pro 444 (for no particular reason, it just seemed a good guess) to the internal drive

I import that back into FCP, and try adjusting the colours a bit, with the three colour correction filter. (I'm not sure what its called in english, we're using german software. Actually half the issue is the software is in german, my friend is Swiss, we started the project together, but now he is on holiday in Egypt and I'm trying to continue working on it on his computer, and I I only speak basic german! To add to the issues for some reason the internet isn't working at his place since he's gone, so I can only google questions on my iphone... doh! I am at home on my computer at the moment)

Its at this 2nd FCP stage that the brightness changes on playback, the footage is now on the internal drive. The files mov are quite big, around a gig for each 30 second segment. I would have thought this doesn't matter since it renders everything anyway?

I tried to keep the files high quality (without really knowing what I'm doing), but my gradients still aren't smooth, but that's another issue..

So thats approximately what's going on..

cheers
Matt

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 11, 2010 at 12:38:09 am

[matt thomas] "When playing back the brightness of my video is darker than when playback is stopped on any given frame. This makes it quite a pain to check colours.."

Often indicative of sequence settings not matching the codec of the video on the timeline. Open a new seq. and drop a new clip in the timeline and let FCP match the settings to the clip. Does it exhibit the same issue?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

matt thomas
on Nov 11, 2010 at 12:47:47 am

Sound possible, I'll try that tomorrow (when I'm back in front of the computer I'm working on). Perhaps this could explain why the didn't happen earlier in the project, then did after going via after effects, I was experimenting with different codecs, I can't remember at what stage I started the sequence, and what codec I was trying at the time..

Obviously this is a 101 question, but since the guy whose system it is is in Egypt.. If it does turn out that this is the issue, how do I go about setting codec of the timeline? ( I imagine this would be easy to figure out if the software was in a language I understood properly.. )

thanks in advance
Matt

ps. I'm going to bed now so I won't be responding quickly to any further suggestions, but keep them coming! :)

Return to posts index

matt thomas
on Nov 11, 2010 at 6:15:14 pm

So I tried putting the clip into a virgin sequence, and it asked me the big german question that I have just been clicking "ja" (yes) to blindly. And in the new sequence didn't change brightness on playback.

I then went back to the original sequence and the problem wasn't happening there anymore either :)

thanks

matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]