FORUMS: list search recent posts

Graphic has artifacts

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Prescott
Graphic has artifacts
on Nov 10, 2010 at 5:30:19 pm

I prepared a title card in Photoshop at 1024 x 576, text on transparent background. When it's composited in FC (on V2 above V1), white artifacts are appearing around the edge of the letters. When I re-sized the same graphic for the NTSC version (720 x 480), there are no artifacts. Any idea what might be causing the problem?

PAL version:

NTSC version:

Return to posts index

Terry Ballard
Re: Graphic has artifacts
on Nov 10, 2010 at 5:43:28 pm

Michael,
I've had better success using .tiff files. Try that...

Terry B

MacPro two 2.26 Ghz Xeon
MacPro RAID card
AJA Kona3 video capture interface
AJA K3 breakout box
FCP & CS4

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 10, 2010 at 6:01:21 pm

Those white artifacts look like incomplete erasures. Is that possible?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Prescott
on Nov 10, 2010 at 6:33:37 pm

Terry: the above pictures were JPEG's only for posting here; its not what was used in the project. But I just discovered something interesting: the NTSC graphic was indeed saved as a TIFF, but the PAL was saved as a PNG. I had always thought the consensus in this Forum was to use PNG but I'll redo it as a TIFF to see if its better.

Dave: the graphic was created with a text only on a transparent background so, in Photoshop, nothing was erased. In fact, I used the exact same file for each version, only resizing for the proper aspect ratio.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 10, 2010 at 10:34:45 pm

What codec were the timelines? DV will make a mess of your graphics. Also PAL is 720 x 576 so you would be better making the correct aspect and not relying on FCP to do the anamorphic distort.

Return to posts index

Michael Prescott
on Nov 12, 2010 at 3:08:33 am

The timeline codec was 8-bit uncompressed 4:2:2. I thought this would actually help the graphic look better. Also, the Sequence frame size was 720x576 even though the original graphic was created at 1024x576.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]