FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playouts from H.264

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paco Sweetman
Playouts from H.264
on Nov 9, 2010 at 4:15:12 pm

I do a lot of playouts to Digibeta every day. A lot of the stuff I play out are music videos and various EPK's etc.

I always insist on 10bit, 8bit uncompressed's or ProRES 422 files. Lately I'm getting sent H.264 files (1280x720) relentlessly from various bedroom-editors and I was wondering if any of you guys out there would layoff a broadcast tape from a transcoded H.264 file?

Thanks

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Playouts from H.264
on Nov 9, 2010 at 4:35:17 pm

It all depends on the h.264 Paco. It's definitely possible to create very high quality h.264 files, and they are certainly more easily distributed than uncompressed and ProRes files. So, it's got to be evaluated on a case by case basis.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Paco Sweetman
on Nov 9, 2010 at 4:41:07 pm

Thanks for the response David. Here is an exact example for you.

Video: H.264, 1920x1080, Millions, 25fps
Audio: 48k 16bit Uncompressed
Data Rate 14.65Mbps

Return to posts index

Chad Tingle
on Nov 9, 2010 at 7:48:01 pm

Most stations are asking for commercials to be delivered in H.264 and MPEG2 for their servers. I hate doing it sometimes but even if you send them a beta or digibeta they compress to H.264 anyways. We've all gotta start getting used to it

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 9, 2010 at 9:39:55 pm

I haven't tried using them, but both Kona and Decklink cards come with separate utilitise to capture and play out to tape. If they can take H264 files and scale them correctly you might be able to go to tape without FCP and rendering.

Return to posts index

Paco Sweetman
on Nov 9, 2010 at 11:10:02 pm

Thanks Michael. My main problem is that my clients want Digibeta masters, and it's whether or not I start playing them out, after I transcode a H.264 to a format that I can playout ie. ProRES or Uncompressed 422.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]