FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need TC advice: 29.97 working files will be conformed to 23.98 HD files (long story) but sound editor needs omf files tonight - can I "trick" the TC?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kate Perkins
Need TC advice: 29.97 working files will be conformed to 23.98 HD files (long story) but sound editor needs omf files tonight - can I "trick" the TC?
on Nov 9, 2010 at 12:23:57 am

Hi there -

I have a project which is being edited in 29.97 low rez files. The HD files to which it will later be conformed are 23.98. (I know, I know - when you're asking people to do this stuff for free, you take what you can get.)

Problem is, the sound editor needs the OMF files by 8 am. I realistically do not have time to finish conforming the project before then. Can I simply take my 29.97 sequence of low rez files, and change the sequence setting to 23.98? Will this work?

Many thanks for your replies.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Need TC advice: 29.97 working files will be conformed to 23.98 HD files (long story) but sound editor needs omf files tonight - can I "trick" the TC?
on Nov 9, 2010 at 1:26:47 am

Try a copy >paste of the audio into a 23.98 sequence and make the OMF.

Return to posts index

Kate Perkins
Re: Need TC advice: 29.97 working files will be conformed to 23.98 HD files (long story) but sound editor needs omf files tonight - can I "trick" the TC?
on Nov 9, 2010 at 1:37:55 am

Thanks! Have you done this before with good results?

EDIT TO POST: The project had been miraculously postponed without my intervention - I'm going to leave this thread up in case it helps someone later though.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 9, 2010 at 2:06:58 am

I have taken an OMF generated @ 29.97 and loaded it into my DAW, worked with a QT of the project at 29.97 and then synced the final mix perfectly with a 23.98 conform. That is a possible route to consider. Duration remains real time.

What I am unsure about is if FCP can interpret pasting audio from 29.97 to 23.98. Audio DAWs can do this as they simply deal with samples per second. To test if it can do this properly, make a mix down aif file, copy paste just the audio into a 23.98 sequence and then import the mixed file and compare. A short test will probably suffice.

Return to posts index

Kate Perkins
on Nov 9, 2010 at 3:05:33 am

Thanks! Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know what you mean by DAW. Can you explain?

Return to posts index

Chad Tingle
on Nov 9, 2010 at 3:46:09 am

[Kate Perkins] "I don't know what you mean by DAW"

Digital audio workstation.. i.e. pro-tools,fairlight,logic

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Nov 9, 2010 at 5:26:55 am

[Michael Gissing on Nov 8, 2010 at 9:06:58 pm]

I have taken an OMF generated @ 29.97 and loaded it into my DAW, worked with a QT of the project at 29.97 and then synced the final mix perfectly with a 23.98 conform. That is a possible route to consider. Duration remains real time.

--------
I second that notion, Michael. After all, isn't this the way films used to be mixed all the time? Edit @ 29.97-->mix @ 29.97-->add pulldown-->marry sound to 24 fps film print.

Minus the pulldown part, this workflow is almost exactly the same. I'd be nervous about copying and pasting my timeline into a different timebase for no apparent gain (that I can see at least -- but maybe I'm missing something)

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Nov 9, 2010 at 7:36:57 pm

Re: pasting 29.97 into a 23.98 timeline.

If you have any edits in your audio and you do this in FCP, weirdness can happen. I've done this before and you will get 1 frame gaps in the audio at certain edit points. I don't advise this unless you can go through the whole timeline frame by frame and check for any discrepancies.

What I haven't tried but might work is exporting all of your audio out of the 29.97 timeline as .aif files, and then bring those into the 23.98 timeline. If it's one continuous stream you might be good to go.

Joey

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 9, 2010 at 9:45:06 pm

[Joey Burnham] "exporting all of your audio out of the 29.97 timeline as .aif files, and then bring those into the 23.98 timeline. If it's one continuous stream"

And that's why you should never do this if you want your audio post people to send Christmas cards. Once you bake all the clips minus handles plus levels into a single aif file, the audio post people have nowhere to go to do their job.

If any editor did that before delivering to me I would have their balls or ovaries for breakfast. In thinking about it, the best bet is to do all the audio post in 29.97 and deliver final mix aif files which will sync perfectly with the 23.98 conform.

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Nov 9, 2010 at 9:51:11 pm

I kinda meant it as a fix for weirdness if pasting into a 23.98 timeline. Obviously no good for an OMF for audio engineers, but okay if you're laying back to tape and you have final audio. I guess I was off topic.

There's been many times where I've had to cut in SD offline @ 29.97 and later online HD @ 23.98. When I didn't know better I did my offline cuts in a 29.97 timeline and then pasted into an HD timeline @ 23.98 and overcut the HD footage on top. Video works fine (if you have handles), but the audio would get all screwy cause FCP doesn't work like protools does obviously.

These days I just throw all my sd stuff into an HD 23.98 timeline to begin with and just submaster everything as proxy hd until the full res shows up. That way I'm at 23.98 to begin with.

Joey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]