FORUMS: list search recent posts

External TV/Monitor issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeff lunzaga
External TV/Monitor issue
on Nov 8, 2010 at 5:42:26 pm

STATS: Final Cut Studio 2, Dual 2.0 G5, OSX Leopard

SYMPTOM: In earlier versions of FCP, I was able to work with a TV Monitor via Firewire through my DV Deck. Since I stepped up to this version, I can no longer see it on the monitor.

QUESTION: Is there an external AV Settings I am overlooking to be able to use an external TV Monitor output?

Please help if you can. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: External TV/Monitor issue
on Nov 8, 2010 at 6:11:14 pm

If you choose the "Easy Setup" for DV, it should work OK with DV source material. (you need to be sure the FW is sending the video and audio out to the deck, then from there to the monitor) It doesn't work with HDV via firewire at all as the cameras don't support a pass through like DV cameras do.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

jeff lunzaga
on Nov 8, 2010 at 6:47:05 pm

Thanks Jerry:
Yes, that is what I usually do (Easy Setup) which used to work fine when I was using FCP3. I just wanted to make sure that External Monitor Viewing is still possible with FCS2. Are there any other ideas I can try? The firewire works as earlier. The deck is set to DV input as before.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Nov 8, 2010 at 7:13:13 pm

Might try trashing your preference files.

Jerry

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 8, 2010 at 7:50:57 pm

STill working with DV? Not trying to monitor HDV or anything like that, are you?

#8 External Monitor Viewing.

Shane's Stock Answer #8:

A simple path is mac > firewire > camera or deck > rca cables > tv

Then start up your camera and tv, then open fcp.

Then go View > External video > all frames
Video playback should be Apple firewire NTSC (If you are using an NTSC set)
Audio playback should be Audio follows Video

Techinially, this should send synched video to your TV

If for some reason you can't view your timeline on your external monitor, there are a few things to try:

1) Make sure that the camera/deck is connected and powered on BEFORE you open FCP.

2) In the Final Cut Pro menu select AUDIO/VIDEO Preferences and make sure your signal is being sent out thru Firewire DV.

3) Go to the menu and select VIEW>EXTERNAL>ALL FRAMES.

4) Click in the % box above the image and select FIT TO WINDOW.

5) Go to VIEW->refresh A/V devices

6) Make sure the Log & Capture window is closed

If you want it to play in both the canvas and the external monitor you need to go to the FINAL CUT PRO menu and select AUDIO/VIDIO settings and make sure MIRROR ON DESKTOP is selected under the PLAYBACK OUTPUT section

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]