I like to set the 'In' and 'Out' points of all my video clips with Automator, in order to make a cross dissolve between every shot.
I have a video made in Australia which has a few hundred clips (shots).
I read somewhere that Automator can be used with FCP provided every instruction can be given by means of key strokes.
In my case:
1. Select the first clip in the Time line
2. Enter 'Shift E' in the Canvas in order to go to the start of the next clip
3. Enter '-15' (frames) than enter 'o' (out point)
4. Enter '+30' (frames) in the new clip than enter 'i' (in point)
5. Enter 'b' to select the blade tool
Now comes the crux of my problem. I have to move the mouse now to the two area's which need to be deleted, in order to facilitate my cross dissolve.
Every time I use the mouse a different part of the video is deleted, but not the part I have defined.
Is the anyone who can help me out with this problem? Or is there possibly a simpler solution?
Not sre I understand all of your problem but I will try:
1) If you have FCP 7 you can now apply a transition to all your clips in one operation. Just select an In and an Out to define the range and add the default transition of your choice. (selecting all clps also works)
2) If what you are trying to do is systematically remove frames at top and bottom of each edited clip because each clip is made of all the captured material, then I am afraid there is no other solution that to trim each transition (this is after all an editing software).
Sorry that I didn't mention the version I'm working with, but it is FCP 5.0.4. I work with a 1.8GHz PowerMac x 2 - G5 with 2.5 GB memory. I find it currently too expensive to do more investments like replacing the Mac and upgrading FCP, for the odd video I make like for my vacation trip to Australia.
But still, I like to add transitions in between the shots in this 2 hour video. As you can inmagine there are a lot of clips on this video.
I like to automate and set the In and Out points for each clip to 14 frames per second in order to be be able to add the cross dissolves. (Preferbly automatically). During recording I mostly make sure that the clips can be used straight away, so I don't have to do a lot of editing afterwards.
Therefore I am looking for a way to use Automator to do this job for me.
If you have any suggestions, I appreciate to hear about it.