FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP renders on 12-core MAC

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dolps fernando
FCP renders on 12-core MAC
on Nov 8, 2010 at 2:55:17 am

Hi guys, I jst got my 12core mac and as I do some test, I notice that I wasn't able to utillize/maxed up my processing power as I render my sequences. I notice that the CPU is just running barely at 5 percent. I just want to know if there is an option like multiprocessing like what after effects had developed. Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCP renders on 12-core MAC
on Nov 8, 2010 at 3:11:56 am

Not in FCP, nope.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 8, 2010 at 3:48:16 am

At the moment FCP is only awesome enough to use 2 cores, but buckle up your other 10 for the next release. (sorry for the cynical 'Jobs speak')

At least Compressor (with qmaster) can utilise more cores.

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Nov 8, 2010 at 4:21:37 am

Is there an Editing application out there that actually uses all available cores? Just curious.
don walker
Texarkana, Texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 8, 2010 at 5:52:00 am

The new CS5 possibly?

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Nov 8, 2010 at 10:02:26 am

Premiere Pro CS5 is 64-bit native and will use all 12 of your cores and all of your available memory. It even has FCP 7 shortcuts if you're comfortable with those. It will also send to Adobe Media Encoder (also 64-bit) and render in the background, so you can edit and render at the same time.

Return to posts index

Federico Urdaneta
on Nov 8, 2010 at 10:51:13 am

sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but i just keep hearing good things about the new premiere. whats the downside? if it's so dreamy, why aren't we all flocking to adobe right now? is it just to keep standards / compatibility?

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Nov 8, 2010 at 12:48:09 pm

Simply put, if you know FCP, it takes time and 'relearning' to change your established workflows to a new editing platform. I think a lot of people would rather edit than invest some time in determining whether their work could be better served by another vendor like Adobe.

However, some people are changing. One longtime editor Chris Fenwick is chronicling his journey to Premiere Pro. You can check it out at http://www.chrisfenwick.com/

In the end, you have to make the determination yourself through research whether Adobe, Apple, Avid, etc is right for you. I think for most people, a combination of tools is the most reasonable approach.

Some pros for Premiere Pro:

64-bit native application (so is AE and Adobe Media Encoder)
Uses all of your cores
Uses all of your memory
Opportunity for GPU hardware acceleration
Native editing (never transcode or rewrap unless YOU want to)
Best DSLR workflow (best file based workflow period)
Native RED workflow
Integration with the rest of the Adobe suite

Disclaimer - I am an Adobe person...hopefully most people already know that by now... ;-)

Dennis

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Nov 8, 2010 at 1:22:56 pm

Because most of us have invested all of our time into learning Final Cut Pro, adapting our workflows accordingly, and we're getting stuff done and delivered. We're not going to stop and play "my dad can beat up your dad." There are still people editing with FCP on Mac G4's and making money.

When it becomes impossible to make money editing in FCP, we will have already switched to something else.

Return to posts index

Federico Urdaneta
on Nov 8, 2010 at 1:35:21 pm

i hear you guys.

i'll wait for the revolutionary new FCP that the company famous for making phones will dish out sometime soon

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Nov 8, 2010 at 1:43:25 pm

But if it doesn't let me edit and color-grade 4K feature-length films on my iPhone 3GS, then it will just suck.

Return to posts index

Federico Urdaneta
on Nov 8, 2010 at 1:45:45 pm

i think avatar 2 will be shot with an iphone 4

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Nov 8, 2010 at 2:04:09 pm

Two iPhones, side-by-side. You know, for 3D.

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Nov 8, 2010 at 2:11:48 pm

The ability to edit H.264 in an iphone, will hopefully translate to really useful features in the FCS 4. Adobe has rewritten their software from the ground up, Avid is making big strides, but I firmly believe that Steve Jobs would not flat out lie about the next release of FCS being "Awesome". Yes, there is a concern it might be dumbed down to a consumer platform, but if it lives up to the Apple reputation for really good engineering, both in the software and hardware realms, it will be worth the wait.
don walker
Texarkana, Texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Nov 8, 2010 at 2:21:26 pm

Premiere CS5 64 bit is great.

But the support for AJA/Decklink/Matrox sucks big time compared to FCP.

Return to posts index

Andrew Evans
on Nov 9, 2010 at 3:53:34 am

like michael said compressor can use more cores. you can use compressor to export at least.

Return to posts index

Chris Fenwick
on Nov 9, 2010 at 4:12:04 am

Just remember... when you export TO compressor from FCP... you can't use all the cores...

i'll tell you why i'm in the process of switching...

since 2005, i have yet to see any substantial improvements in FCP... its sad... last month Steve marched Randy Ubilos up on stage to show off the new iMovie... what the hell... the creator of Premiere 1, 2, 3, 4, 4.2, 4.2, FCP 1, FCP 2, FCP 3, FCP 4 and possibly FCP 4.5 is writing iMovie code??? that is a crazy waste of resources in my opinion...

I wanna see that guy writing PRO apps, not consumer apps... thats just my opinion... and Randy, if you are reading this and want to set me straight be sure to contact me... Doug Devour knows how to reach me.

SO, I want a company that is actively (i almost used 'avidly' but the pun was too much) pursuing making me a GREAT PRO APP... I've seen more advancement in Premiere in the past 12 months then I've seen i FCP in the past 5 years...

I HAVE TO be looking toward the future... and I HONESTLY believe that Premiere Pro CS5 is My future...

and... if i'm wrong and Apple 'steps it up' and knocks one out of the park with FCP8, we'll ALL BE HAPPY..

Competition is good... right now... I believe Premiere is the competition..

Next week I'm doing a live lecture online for Adobe... you can read about it here...

http://chrisfenwick.com/home/2010/11/8/talking-about-x2ppro-is-fun.html

and follow me on twitter and search for the hash tag #X2PPro I've been making tutorials on my site about my observations about switching to Premiere Pro...

again... I MUST look toward the future... you can do what you want.

later...

Return to posts index

Federico Urdaneta
on Nov 9, 2010 at 5:22:45 pm

hey chris

i've been reading your blog, and its pretty awesome. your tutorial on backing-up was great, as well as all the other FCP-to-Premiere ones. thanks a lot for posting

fede

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Nov 9, 2010 at 5:58:39 pm

Why do you assume he's NOT working on the pro apps?

Return to posts index

wayne dupuis
on Dec 16, 2010 at 4:20:10 pm

Woot: an us and them forum. I'd like to chime in on this.
I have Quad Core Dual 2.8 with 10 gigs running FCP etc.
My workflow is usually HDV to WMV and served up from my media server and out. This week I had several deadlines where I was working on 3 8 to 14 minute pieces that were being voiced in Soundtrack, while another was rendering in FCP, and another was being turned into a WMV from within Quicktime 7, and another to a WMV from MPEG Streamclip. All working at the same time; all finished without a hitch. No hiccups, no crashing, and in on time without ever thinking something was going to go wrong.
Just because you got 55 cores and they are not being used may be on your mind, doesn't make the fact they are not being used all the time important enough for me to even consider going back to a PC for video editing. Rant.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]