FORUMS: list search recent posts

Removing Horizontal Bands Embedded on VHS Video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Kirsch
Removing Horizontal Bands Embedded on VHS Video
on Nov 7, 2010 at 10:38:51 pm

I need to capture video recorded on VHS Tape in the early 1990s using a VHS based camcorder. I am using a Kona3 Card and Final Cut Pro for video capture.
Unfortunately some of the video on the VHS has broad, fuzzy and flickering horizontal bands embedded. The lines move either upwards or downwards. The direction of movement and the speed with which the lines move can change on the spot. Basically horizontal areas where the video appears darker alternate with horizontal areas where the video appears brighter.
The lines appear to be permanently recorded onto the video. Parts of the same clip can contain the lines while other parts are clean.

I am wondering whether someone knows how these bands can possibly be removed either using a software filter or by plugging-in some kind of device between the VHS-player and the capture card?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Removing Horizontal Bands Embedded on VHS Video
on Nov 8, 2010 at 4:26:12 am

I'm not a forensic video engineer, but it doesn't sound good. Your color subcarrier is wandering, it seems to me, and that could mean it was recorded badly, or the machine is bad, or both. Does it look bad in black and white? Is this NTSC or PAL or SECAM video?

Return to posts index

Thomas Kirsch
Re: Removing Horizontal Bands Embedded on VHS Video
on Nov 8, 2010 at 4:44:43 am

This is NTSC video. It looks just as bad in black and white.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]