FORUMS: list search recent posts

e-sata question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Cea
e-sata question
on Nov 6, 2010 at 4:31:21 pm

HI All, Looking to pick up a LaCie d2 Quadra 1 TB Hard Disk. Can anyone make a recommendation as to what e-sata card will work with this hard drive. I am running SL with a current 2.66 12 core. Mostly editing DV, HDV and ProRes (LT and SQ).

I did a search on this subject (here on the cow) and saw that Mr Zelin mentioned that cheap $20 cards don't work. I believe Shane had mentioned Caldigit was the way to go. The name firmtek was also brought up. Many of these posts were older though so I wasn't sure if anything had changed. Would any of the below links work for my situation?

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Firmtek/SATA2SE2E/

http://www.caldigit.com/FASTA-2e/

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks guys
Chris

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: e-sata question
on Nov 6, 2010 at 4:44:18 pm

I have a CalDigit Fasta 4e that sure works like a charm! Would figure the 2e is much the same, just fewer ports.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

DVD:http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Nov 6, 2010 at 5:01:14 pm

The cards you posted are 1x PCIe cards. They are limited in speed compared to cards that use the 4x slots, like the Sonnet Tempo E4P

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo_sata_e4p.html

Note that Sonnet also sells an inexpensive 1x 2-port card (E2P), but warns against using it for high performance RAIDS, as its slower.

You may not need the extra speed for your work, but its worth thinking about. You might start having speed issues with HD work.

Also...I believe the Caldigit FASTA is now discontinued, though you may still be able to get your hands on one.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Nov 6, 2010 at 5:03:20 pm

[Chris Cea] "Can anyone make a recommendation as to what e-sata card will work with this hard drive."

Well now thats going to depend... Are you on a MacPro Tower or a MacBook Pro with a express card slot.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Chris Cea
on Nov 6, 2010 at 5:24:06 pm

Thanks for the quick responses guys. This e-sata/external drive thing is somewhat new to me.

Here's one for you though...If I am looking to connect a single drive (like the lacie) do I need a card with numerous ports? I see the Sonnet mentioned has multiple ports on it.

Zane, I am using a Mac Pro tower.

Thanks again guys
Chris

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Nov 6, 2010 at 5:44:37 pm

The number of ports might be more than you need...but all the faster cards have multiple ports.

The E4P, which is a 4x PCIe card will give you over 200 MB/s

The E2P, which is a 1x PCIe card will top out around 120.MB/s, regardless of the speed of the drive array, which can be considerably faster. Your card will be the bottleneck.

I would imagine the performance would be similar with Firmtek or CalDigit cards.

Return to posts index

Chris Cea
on Nov 6, 2010 at 6:30:47 pm

Thanks for the additional info John, That was a big help

Chris

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
on Nov 6, 2010 at 8:19:50 pm

Check what a 30 seconds search on LaCie own website suggests:

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=11217

does it help?

Patrice

Return to posts index

Chris Cea
on Nov 6, 2010 at 9:06:46 pm

Patrice, I had seen that card on the lacie site but thought $300 for a card so that I connect a single $140 hard drive was a little pricey. This drive will go inbetween my office and home so portability is key. Not looking to run a 4+ drive Raid here. Since the lacie drive offers an E-Sata connection, I thought I might try to take advantage of that. I read on the cow that I shouldn't mess with cheap $20 cards. I thought I would see if there was something decent in between the $20 price point and the $300, that's all. Thank You for your snide remark about the 30 second search. That was good of you.

Chris

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Nov 6, 2010 at 7:01:48 pm

I dont know much about the LaCie drive you are using. Check to whether it can actually take advantage of the faster card or not.

Return to posts index

Chris Cea
on Nov 7, 2010 at 1:48:15 am

Hi John, the Lacie website (for the 1TB d2 Quadra Enterprise Class drive)is claiming burst reads of up to 115 MBS, more like 80-90 MBS sustained. If I am not looking to add more drives to set up a Raid, is it worth a more expensive card? My understanding is (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that a higher end card like the $299 offering from Lacie (LaCie eSATA II PCI Express Card 3Gb/s 4Ports) adds ports for multiple drives and adds speed but... the speed benefit is only seen if multiple drives are setup as a raid. I have a single drive that I want to work off of. It seems like the basic esata cards I am seeing (Lacie offers one)make claims of 150MBS. Based on this claim...Do you think it makes sense to pick up a basic esata card to work with this single drive?

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out
Chris

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 7, 2010 at 3:56:13 am

Get the E2P then. That's the speed you'll get out of it. I'm using it and have 2 drives attached. A 2 TB G-Raid, and a 2 TB Hitachi in a custom external case. I could get more out of my GRaid if I bought the E4P, but considering it was doing 1080P just fine when I ran it on FW800, I couldn't justify the extra cost.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Nov 7, 2010 at 4:29:13 am

Agreed. You wont benefit from the extra speed with that drive.

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on Nov 8, 2010 at 12:10:02 am

I've been using LaCie drives for years, and the more recent ones are the worst ones,
got that 1 TB D2 Quadra as well... everything in specs looks fine, ports, speed, but
in practice.. very disappointing.
Had 2 failing last year after just over 12 months.

Get a CalDigit ( I remember people here used to swear by G-Drive as well) and considering your set up,
get that Voyager dock (eSata, FW 800) and buy bare drives (save loads $$) for backing up your media drive (and archiving) and you are good as gold.

http://www.digitalvideovault.com.au

Return to posts index

Chris Cea
on Nov 8, 2010 at 1:40:36 am

Bret and John, thanks for your help. I must say after reading Miodrag's post (Thanks for posting Miodrag), I think I have changed my mind on this lacie solution. I am now reading up on the 1 TB Fusion 2 from Sonnet as a solution for my situation. It's more expensive but it seems more relaible and maybe a better fit for me. I would need a card for both my home machine and my work system, that's the only thing that is holding me back at this point.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]