FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting audio for sound editor?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles House
Exporting audio for sound editor?
on Nov 6, 2010 at 5:25:07 am

The biggest issue we're hearing about for our first feature film is the audio. It's not too quiet, it's just kind of all over the place. There's music/score, dialogue, sound effects/foley, etc. I think there's about 24 tracks total, not all going at once of course, but at the most probably 10 tracks at once (with each using 2 tracks for stereo, so in that example there'd be a sound effect or two, music, dialogue, and probably a crossfade into the next piece of dialogue or audio, etc). How would I export all of this as independent files, lined up where they belong, 30fps, for an audio editor to equalize all the volume and set everything straight?

Return to posts index

Chad Tingle
Re: Exporting audio for sound editor?
on Nov 6, 2010 at 1:04:10 pm

It all depends on what program your editor uses. If it's pro-tools you can export what's called an OMF by just going to the FILE - EXPORT command and look for OMF. If you're using soundtrack pro you can do send soundtrack pro right from your timeline.

[Charles House] "I think there's about 24 tracks tota"

I would try to organize the tracks so your sound editor/mixer has an easier time and things go a little more efficiently. What I mean by organize is for example your first 2 to 4 tracks might be dialogue depending on if you had to overlapped dialogue or not. Sounds effects could be 5&6, music 7&8 and so on all the way up to 24. The more organized the easier it is or he or she to find things in an efficient manner. If you can consolidate and lose a few tracks even better.

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Nov 6, 2010 at 2:27:13 pm

OMF gives a multitrack file that can be used for audio post. Also export a lower resolution video file they can use as reference - ask your audio facility what format they prefer.

Don't worry about the 'per hour' cost of audio post - if they're any good, they can achieve more in an hour than you will in a day, and make it sound far better. In my experience, Audio post is a most underappreciated skill, and adds far more to any production than it ever costs.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/casestudies/detail.asp?case=therydercup

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 6, 2010 at 7:53:54 pm

Every sound facility will have specific instructions to make the OMF including handle size, leaving levels, dissolves and pans in etc. So ask them before you do anything.

I advise people not to bother sorting tracks out as FCP is a lousy tool for that and regardless of what you sort, we will pull the tracks apart and put them in the desired order we use to route dialog, music and FX to the required busses.

I am staggered that a feature would be tracked and mixed in FCP. Audio post is as mandatory as grading for anything film that hopes to have cinema or broadcast release.

Return to posts index

Charles House
on Nov 6, 2010 at 8:05:37 pm

I don't mean to sound snide, and I appreciate your input, but I think you're forgetting how many features are made each year that will never see a "to film" transfer or television broadcast. I'd venture to say the numbers are significantly higher than those that will, to the point of being in multiples over the number that will.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]