FORUMS: list search recent posts

searching for movie data in file....

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Pugh
searching for movie data in file....
on Nov 5, 2010 at 6:35:55 pm

I have this message on an old quicktime file I've been trying to open. I thought it was saved as a self contained movie (it seems large enough - its 1.4 gigs DV for 6 minutes of video).

But here's the thing - the movie plays perfectly in the finder preview window (when selecting get info in the finder). I've played it all the way through, no problem, sound and vision.

Why can the file play fine in preview, but not open saying there is missing video?

Even if the movie was incorrectly saved as a reference file, and the preview video is a separate video stream from the actual video, there is clearly a lot of data in the file, does anyone know of a way to force the movie to play the video it does have, even if some is missing?

I only need the file for coding into mp4 for the internet - so I'm thinking I could screen grab the video playing in the preview window with something like Screenium, but I'd much rather get the DV file into Episode and do it the quality way!

Ken.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: searching for movie data in file....
on Nov 5, 2010 at 7:40:33 pm

If it plays OK in QT pro, seems to me you could export it from there as a self contained movie... or from FCP directly.

It sounds like the reference movie is ragged or just out of date with Episode. Screen grab wouldn't be as good I'll bet.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

DVD:http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Ken Pugh
Re: searching for movie data in file....
on Nov 5, 2010 at 7:44:57 pm

Sadly the file only plays in the preview window in the finder (after selecting 'get info') it doesn't play, and wont open in QT, FCP, AE or Episode....

What I don't understand is how the finder 'get info' window can play the file, while all the above programmes cannot.

Best,

Ken.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]