FORUMS: list search recent posts

General Error when exporting

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Babbitt
General Error when exporting
on Nov 4, 2010 at 6:42:16 pm

I've been trying to export a 40 minute DV sequence to a Quicktime file, and I keep getting a General Error message. I've tried both reference and self-contained (Current Settings). I tried saving to two different drives, and I also rebooted the whole system. No luck. The strange thing is that I was able to export the sequence before, but after I made some small changes to the project, I encountered the problem. Finally, I just exported directly from the timeline to Compressor, and that worked. In 12 years of using FCP, I don't think I have seen this. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Nicole Haddock
Re: General Error when exporting
on Nov 4, 2010 at 8:12:25 pm

I've seen this before and there's usually one piece of media/render file in the timeline that went corrupt. In the past, I've been able to solve this by 1- trashing the render files, 2- trashing the preferences, 3-closing and reopening final cut, and 4- if all else fails, copy all the media into a new sequence. Sounds kind of dumb, right? But it can work!
Occasionally, there's a media file that's just gone bad. And you have to try and figure out where it lies by exporting chunks of the film at a time. When you get to the part that throws the error, you can then have fun tinkering with each little file. One of the things I miss about Media 100 is that the file icon would change when it became corrupt, so it was real easy to figure this whole mess out. No so much with FCP, sigh.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Nov 4, 2010 at 8:39:17 pm

Yeah, that occurred to me, but if that was the case, why would it export directly to Compressor with no problem?

Return to posts index

Nicole Haddock
on Nov 5, 2010 at 12:39:34 am

Based on the TFM, I think what's different is that exporting directly to Compressor, the rendering process is handled differently. So it sounds like because it's going frame by frame, it's generating it's own render files, hence the buggy one is no longer a problem.

"The advantage of exporting a sequence to Compressor directly from Final Cut Pro is that rendering happens as part of the transcoding process, potentially saving you time and eliminating unwanted artifacts."

The manual later mentions this- "The Export Using QuickTime Conversion command always recompresses your media when it exports, even if your export settings match the settings of your selected clip or sequence." So I wonder if you went that route, would you be able to get a file without that error? Hmm.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]