FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID O internal 3 drive setup advice

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Kapleton
RAID O internal 3 drive setup advice
on Nov 4, 2010 at 4:48:13 pm

hello forum friends,

I know you guys advise against RAID O but I plan to use a Drobo for TimeMachine backups daily. I just want to make sure this 2TB drive on OWC is the correct one - i plan to get 3 of them and do a RAID O for use with FCP, Color, Davinci, AE & C4D, etc...

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Hitachi/0F10311/

I just want to make sure this is the proper one to get.

thank you for your advice!

sean

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: RAID O internal 3 drive setup advice
on Nov 4, 2010 at 5:20:27 pm

Hitachi drives are good drives, and RAID 0 isn't a bad thing so long as you have a backup. Do keep in kind that while your media should be fine, Apple ProApps are typically not properly restored from TimeMachine backups.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 4, 2010 at 5:38:59 pm

Do not overlook OWC's Qx2 Raid enclosure. It's a very affordable enclosure that will give you the protection of RAID 5.

Time Machine is good for your system drive back up not your media.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 4, 2010 at 5:51:01 pm

[Steve Eisen] "Time Machine is good for your system drive back up not your media."

Not exactly!!! See my post above Steve.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
on Nov 4, 2010 at 5:54:38 pm

thanks for the responses!

David what article about steve? looked on your user page but could not find what you mention - do you have a link?

In terms of the OWC RAID - wont i need a RAID card for that to go external sata RAID 5?

thanks

sean

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 4, 2010 at 6:05:58 pm

Not an article, just what I said in my first post to about ProApps failing to properly restore from TimeMachine...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
on Nov 4, 2010 at 7:13:05 pm

ahhh ok got it.

How would you or anyone else reading this suggest backing up my RAID O in the most efficient way - i.e. if I use a drobo via firewire 800 is there a way it can only copy over whats new or updated and not the entire contents of the RAID each night?

any suggestions on fastest / best ways to do backups of my RAID 0 internal would be awesome

cheers

sean

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 4, 2010 at 8:16:54 pm

If you are thinking about buying an additional device to backup your RAID 0, you are better off getting a RAID 5 (OWC, Caldigit, G-Tech, iStoragePro). That will give you fast performance and your data is protected.

All you need is a PCIe eSata card to connect the RAID 5 enclosure.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
on Nov 4, 2010 at 9:02:36 pm

what are the speeds on one of those (same 350MB sec as internal raid 0) and the expense of a 6-8 TB

also how much is the PCIe eSata your are talking about - trying to watch $$$ on storage since I am dropping so much on the 13-core & 32gb RAM!!

thanks

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 4, 2010 at 9:09:37 pm

[Steve Eisen] "If you are thinking about buying an additional device to backup your RAID 0, you are better off getting a RAID 5 (OWC, Caldigit, G-Tech, iStoragePro). That will give you fast performance and your data is protected."

I disagree. RAID is not backup.

RAID 5 will protect you from failure of one of the drives in your set, but that's it. It will not protect you from a controller failure, a filesystem problem, an electrical problem, fire, flood, theft, or accidental deletion.

Having multiple copies of the data (like the internal RAID 0 and a Drobo) will help protect you from disk failure, controller failures, filesystem problems, and accidental deletions. Electrical problems, fire, flood, theft, etc. are all still threats as long as the second copy of the data is physically located with the first copy.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 4, 2010 at 8:51:10 pm

[Sean Kapleton] " if I use a drobo via firewire 800 is there a way it can only copy over whats new or updated and not the entire contents of the RAID each night?"

Check out SuperDuper, the cloning app, it has an "incremental" setting i believe.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]