FORUMS: list search recent posts

Voiceover and 24bit audio capture

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juan Gómez Martín
Voiceover and 24bit audio capture
on Nov 4, 2010 at 9:45:31 am

Is it possible to set Voiceover's bitdepth to 24 bits? I am testing capturing via our Mac's internal line input (after giving up doing it via our Blackmagic): even if any other audio app will let me set, say, 48KHz/24bit, and the very FCPro will accept that via AV capture, Voiceover does reduce everything to 48/16bit.

I've seen people suggest creating a Capture Preset set to 48/24. It doesn't seem to work, though.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Voiceover and 24bit audio capture
on Nov 4, 2010 at 1:47:14 pm

Why isn't the Blackmagic working?

Have you tried Soundtrack Pro for this?

Return to posts index

Juan Gómez Martín
on Nov 4, 2010 at 5:24:22 pm

For some reason Voiceover doesn't see any audio from our DeckLink at all. In some thread a Blackmagic guy pointed out that the DeckLink needs to see video input for it to activate audio input. I thought having our BetacamSP deck on and feeding a simple black video signal would suffice. No joy there, even if most audio recording apps (Peak, Audacity, etc.) work well with such a "trick". It was suggested that we better use other audio input resources (internal Line In, USB interfaces, etc.).

We've been playing with Voiceover via Line In and an USB converter. Even if I set a 48 KHz/24 bit capture preset (which FCPro acknowledges when recording via Video Capture), Voiceover will produce 48/16 files.

I'd want Voiceover to work, as we work extremely fast with it. Going to Soundtrack or others and back is a nuisance we'd want to avoid, although I guess it's going to become inevitable.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 4, 2010 at 9:32:24 pm

For a voice over, 24 bit is absolute overkill. 16 bit gives you 90db dynamic range. A typical VO would be well contained by 20db of usable dynamic.Don't sweat 24 bit for this. If you were recording Shostakovitch's 5th symphony, you might appreciate the extra 30 db dynamic range to give you some spare headroom.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]