FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio sync problems from DV capture?!!!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rodrigo Silvestri
Audio sync problems from DV capture?!!!
on Nov 4, 2010 at 3:39:09 am

Hi. I can't believe I'm starting a thread on this, but well.
I'm helping a friend to capture her footage of a short documentary movie, and we are having weird problems.

All the footage was recorded to MiniDV tapes with her cheap Sony camera (SD, NTSC). The same camera being used for capture. Audio plays in perfect sync from the camera.
Final Cut Pro capture is set to DV NTSC 48KHz Anamorphic and Device Control set to Non-Controllable Device (because there were many tc breaks in the capture so we wanted to capture an entire clip for the whole tape).

After the capture finished, I told her to check the audio sync (because I had a similar problem some years ago, in a different situation, so I supposed this should be OK but wanted to check just in case) and she told me the captured file was out of sync.
She is telling me that the image has a ~2/3sec delay (WTF?!), the image is late.
Any way of fixing this in the captures? Or a way of doing it in the video file after the capture without needing to re-export?

Thanks,
Rodrigo Silvestri.

--
Some people seem to love getting angry. I don't :)

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Audio sync problems from DV capture?!!!
on Nov 5, 2010 at 1:33:04 pm

Might try setting FCP's device control to FW, but also set the option up to ignore TC breaks... It will have correct time code until the first break, and just continue on with the TC numbers past that.

OR best would be to copy the tapes and remove the breaks that way. Use the copies as source.

Also be sure that the recording on the originals was 16 bit and not 12.... camera should display this in the view finder during playback. If 12 bit, then set the audio to be 32Khz 16 bit, not 48.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

DVD:http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]