FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVR - FCP firewire connection issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Hebert
HVR - FCP firewire connection issues
on Nov 3, 2010 at 4:23:43 pm

Hi all, long time reader, first time poster.

So I've checked the forums here and on other FCP support websites and I can't seem to find a solution to my unique problem.

I am trying to capture HDV footage via firewire from a Sony HVR-M15U into FCP 6.0.6

I have easy setup configured for HDV presets and the deck connects fine to the Mac. I get device control and I can see TC coming in through the capture window. However, what I don't get is picture, unless the deck is in FWD or RWD. Which is really strange. I connected the deck up to an external monitor and the same thing is true if I'm just going out boring old RCA. I don't have a component monitor to try those connections. I've been through all of the settings on the deck a hundred times and I can't seem to find anything that fixes this.

Other clamshells connect fine to this machine but only output DV/DVCPRO, and I want to maintain the HDV quality.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

-Ken

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
Re: HVR - FCP firewire connection issues
on Nov 3, 2010 at 4:42:34 pm

Check to see if you have iLink on? If so, turn it off. You won't need to convert to DV if you are trying to capture to HDV.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Ken Hebert
on Nov 3, 2010 at 4:46:19 pm

Thanks for responding. I've been through the manual a bunch of times and I already had it set up that way:

Transferring the picture data from the unit
to a computer (editing machine)
•To transfer the picture data recorded on a tape to an
editing machine in HDV, set [HDV/DV SEL] in [IN/
OUT REC] menu to [HDV] (page 46), then set
[HDVtDV CONV] of [i.LINK SET] in [IN/OUT
REC] menu to [OFF] (page 47).

Return to posts index

Chad Tingle
on Nov 3, 2010 at 7:21:18 pm

Under the clip settings of the log and capture window..Check to see if your video and audio are selected with a check mark.

Chad Tingle
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Nov 3, 2010 at 7:47:09 pm

When you actually capture a clip. Is the captured clip black aswell?

Do you have more firewire devices connected?

Have you tried to trash your fcp plist/preferences/caches file?

Return to posts index

Jerry Alto
on Nov 3, 2010 at 7:50:20 pm

Ken- Do other HDV tapes (properly recorded) play OK on that deck? If so you have record problem with the tape.

If the problem tapes play properly in the camera they were recorded on then you have a deck problem.

You need to determine if you have a 'tape/record' issue or a 'deck' issue.

I've seen that same problem (able to view in search mode) discussed on the HDV forum and they had some workarounds. You might want to check there.

Hope this helps,
Jerry

MacPro 2.93 Quad
FCP7
Sony Z-1
GV-HD700

Return to posts index

Ken Hebert
on Nov 3, 2010 at 8:53:51 pm

So the tapes are fine because they play in other devices besides the camera, like an HDV clamshell. It has to be something with the device. Even going out RCA there is only TC and no video, so something is clearly amiss.

When attempting to capture a black screen all I get is an error that says "no data coming from device". So that doesn't work. And yeah. Video and Audio are checked for capture.

I will check the HDV forums. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jerry Alto
on Nov 4, 2010 at 3:33:44 am

Ken- OK, its not the tape. You need to connect it directly to a TV monitor and get a picture BEFORE you connect it to the computer. It is either a menu setting, dirty heads, or the deck needs to go in for repair.

Good luck.
Jerry

MacPro 2.93 Quad
FCP7
Sony Z-1
GV-HD700

Return to posts index

Ken Hebert
on Nov 5, 2010 at 5:07:19 pm

Ok, I figured it out. It was the deck. It was just plain broke. It only was able to put out TC for some reason. I Got my hands on another deck of the same type and it worked just find. I sent the broke out out for repairs, we'll see what Sony has to say.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]