FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playing HD QT Files on Windows Machines

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Petty
Playing HD QT Files on Windows Machines
on Nov 2, 2010 at 9:36:33 pm

I just dialed out a quick 1080p interview sequence for a client (created in FCP). I exported it as a self contained sequence and saved it as a standard QT .mov file. I dropped it off with the client this morning for approval and all the have are windows boxes and the .mov won't play. Normally I present stuff to them on my laptop. They have QT on their machines but apparently they can't spin up HD files.

I hate screwing around converting to a .wmv (which looks like crap) or dialing out a DVD...what software can I tell them to get so they can play an 1080 or 720 QT .mov file on their beige boxes?

Or is that even possible?

Maybe I should suggest they go buy a mac with QT (and the little hd patch) and call it a day!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Playing HD QT Files on Windows Machines
on Nov 2, 2010 at 9:47:09 pm

[Mike Petty] "...what software can I tell them to get so they can play an 1080 or 720 QT .mov file on their beige boxes?"

You really need to know that .mov means very little in the real world. I can play quicktime files on my Mac, PCs and Linux boxes. All of them are more than capable of "spinning up" HD files. But what you need to know is how codecs translate from system to system including from one mac to another.

If you want a file to play properly from one computer to another, you need to know what codecs are likely to be fairly universal and more importantly if they are easily available on other platforms. If you made a .mov in ProRes codec and sent it to someone with a grunty MacPro, but without FCP installed, they wouldn't be able to play the file either.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 2, 2010 at 9:55:01 pm

Export an H.264 file for them. Does it REALLY need to be that big? Make it 1280x720 at the most. This is just for them to look at. Take that file you exported and use Compressor.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 2, 2010 at 10:22:55 pm

Believe it or not, I just went through a major ordeal with a Windows-based client who could not playback any h.264 or MP4 files despite having installed the latest version of QT Player. I had to transcode many files with TC window burn to WMV for him, and I have to make horrible looking WMV viewing copies for him as I proceed, which I refuse to make at anything larger than 50% scale for quality reasons.

I have no idea what's up with that, but it's a continuing source of frustration for me.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 2, 2010 at 10:28:30 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "major ordeal with a Windows-based client who could not playback any h.264 or MP4 files despite having installed the latest version of QT Player"

VLC is a much better media player than QT and its free and easy to download for WIN, Mac and Linux

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Nov 3, 2010 at 1:27:25 am

"Maybe I should suggest they go buy a mac with QT (and the little hd patch) and call it a day!"

Or... you could put the customer first and buy a Windows box for encoding. :-) Seriously though, I have a 4 year old Dell ($600.00) that does nothing but screen captures (via Camtasia) and video encoding. It's not fast, but it does a great job and I've had very few problems with it. I run The Microsoft Expression Encoder (which is free) and my video looks great(especially using the VC-1 codec). Best of all, most any PC can play the files coming from that machine.

Also, have you tried posting this in the compression forum? They may have a better answer to your QT encoding woes.

Thanks,

Shawn

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Nov 3, 2010 at 2:27:04 am

I believe that Telestream Episode can create VC1 movies.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 3, 2010 at 4:39:35 am

So what codec is your sequence? You exported current settings and self contained. Probably ProRes. ProRes us a pro format available with the install of FCP. There is no such thing as a standard QT file. It's a wrapper. H.264 is what you want.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Nov 3, 2010 at 5:51:03 pm

ProRes is available for playback on Windows and Mac if you are running the latest version of Quicktime. The decoder is now included. You cannot ENCODE on any system without FCP installed.

If H.264 does not work for some reason..try PhotoJPEG. Most stock footage is encoded in this codec, as it has been standard in Quicktime (both Mac and Windows) for ages, and has very good quality.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]