FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing Firewire via EX3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nate McNeil
Capturing Firewire via EX3
on Nov 2, 2010 at 7:28:49 pm

Hello All,

I'm currently trying to capture from our Sony EX3 through FCP via the firewire, specifically in PAL format. I've flipped through all the possible combinations of Device Control and Capture with no luck.

On the EX3 I'm in PAL area with SP 1080/50i (Firewire won't work on HQ settings)
As I said, I've tried every PAL capture setting available in the hopes that one would work.

FCP constantly returns an error saying no device selected. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Nate

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Capturing Firewire via EX3
on Nov 2, 2010 at 7:37:47 pm

You don't do LOG AND CAPTURE with tapeless formats. You need to use LOG AND TRANSFER for this... or the Sony Clip Browser software. If you want to use FCP for this, then you need to download the XDCAM Log and Transfer software, and then use Log and Transfer. I have a tutorial for this here:

Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

If you want to use the Sony Clip Browser, that is a separate application that see the SxS cards and can convert them to XDCAM QT files that FCP can then access, you need to download that and use that.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nate McNeil
on Nov 2, 2010 at 8:11:22 pm

Apologies, I should have specified that I'm trying to do a live capture directly to the tower, NOT simply getting media clips.

Return to posts index

Nate McNeil
on Nov 2, 2010 at 8:21:16 pm

I should also note that I've installed the latest AJA drivers, and re-installed both Quicktimes.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 2, 2010 at 9:10:14 pm

Wait, what do the AJA drivers have to do with capture via FIREWIRE? If you have the AJA hardware (which card?), why not use the card? I'm not sure you can shoot video and pass that through via firewire with that camera. But I don't know that camera very well.

Use the AJA hardware and totally bypass the horrid LOG GOP XDCAM format and capture direct to ProRes.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Nov 2, 2010 at 9:41:38 pm

[Shane Ross] "Use the AJA hardware and totally bypass the horrid LOG GOP XDCAM format and capture direct to ProRes."

More specifically:

If you have AJA hardware, use the HDSDI output from the EX3 and feed it into the AJA device's HDSDI input. Don't use Firewire. Capture in ProRes 422.

Return to posts index

Nate McNeil
on Nov 3, 2010 at 1:30:52 pm

I simply wanted it noted that all proper drivers are installed, and some firewire components are included in the AJA driver pack.

What you suggest works perfectly, unless, as I stated, You attempt to go PAL. The only device control presets in FCP are for Firewire when it comes to PAL, and yes, I've tried going SDI with it, the final capture won't encode to PAL. It defaults to the last used capture setting.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Nov 3, 2010 at 1:47:18 pm

When capturing a live feed from a camera via SDI, there is no device control. Select non-controllable device.

Return to posts index

Nate McNeil
on Nov 3, 2010 at 1:55:20 pm

same problem, the capture defaults to the previous setting and won't return a PAL file and there is generally distortion or interference on the capture window, causing an unusable capture.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 3, 2010 at 3:58:13 pm

[Nate McNeil] "On the EX3 I'm in PAL area with SP 1080/50i (Firewire won't work on HQ settings)
As I said, I've tried every PAL capture setting available in the hopes that one would work."

Hi Nate,
You are right, you can only use FW on the EX when recording SQ (HDV), however I'm not sure if you have any device control from FC.
Try with "No controllable device" , play from camera and "Capture Now".
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Viðar Freyr Guðmundsson
on Nov 19, 2012 at 12:29:49 am

I had some luck using 1080p (SP) setting and using Quictime to capture. You also got to turn on iLink in the camera menu.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]