FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nattress filters and Out of Memory

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dana Strom
Nattress filters and Out of Memory
on Nov 2, 2010 at 6:08:28 pm

FCP 7 running on a 12 core Mac Pro 8GB ram

More and more I'm running into Out of Memory errors when trying to render. We're working in a 1080p30 ProRes 422 HQ environment, clips are from various sources but mostly originated from 5D and Varicam. The 5D stuff was converted ProRes 422 HQ using Log and Transfer... the Varicam is still DVCProHD 720p

More and more we're unable to render certain filters and transitions. We're pulling a lot from the Nattress filters which I've always had good experiences with in the past but they're becoming more and more problematic.

We're nearing the Fine Cut phase and we need to be able to start screening this with the final filters in place... any ideas?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Nattress filters and Out of Memory
on Nov 2, 2010 at 8:33:09 pm

Out of memory errors usually indicates that there is something in the timeline with pixel dimensions larger than 4K. Do you have any stills or graphics like that or are you getting that message when you render 1080 clips with lots of filters?

Return to posts index

Dana Strom
on Nov 2, 2010 at 8:41:33 pm

Thanks for the response!

Nothing over 4k. Everything is 1080 at the highest. I've removed all CMYK stills, jpegs and non-optomized video and audio... you know, the usual suspects... but we're finding that it specifically wants to crap out when rendering something like a transition or filter. We're going to a proper color correct later so we're not very filter heavy right now- but we have some Nattress effects day-for-night stuff in right now and we use the G-Film Flash for a lot of our transitions...

I don't think these are 'causing' the problems, but these are what's left unrendered when it craps out.

: (

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 2, 2010 at 8:48:45 pm

With your hardware, it shouldn't struggle with those filters. I have used Nattress filters since FCP4.5 on a G5 without those problems. Have you done the usual maintenance (Trash prefs etc) and do you have lots of other programs open in the background when rendering?

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Nov 3, 2010 at 1:02:27 pm

FCP is notoriously bad at memory management. Normally a reboot clears everything.

Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]