FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing Mixed Formats to Web -Total Confusion!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Lewis
Editing Mixed Formats to Web -Total Confusion!
on Nov 2, 2010 at 1:02:38 am

I'm putting together a showreel made up of all sorts of files and formats.

It's a mix of SD (DV, DVCPRO, IMX), HD in various flavours (DVCPROHD in both 720P and 1080P, XDCAM EX, XDCAMHD) and other ripped files like quicktimes made from ripping DVDs and downloaded from the web in mostly low qualilty mp4 in small frames sizes etc. A real mess!

The final clip will go on the web, and only needs to be small size etc.

I'm confused about what to edit in (sequence settings etc), and then what to output in?

Was thinking about using prorez on the timeline, but what size? Worried that using say 720P will blow up the lower rez / smaller sized files too much, or should I use that codec, but work in a small frame size? Or use standard pro rez settings, then reduce the final output size in either compressor or quicktime conversion.

I've read lots about, and frequently edit with, mixed formats, but the web output and use of small "ripped" mp4/h264/quicktime files is confusing?.

I'm sure others must find themselves in this position, so hopefully any answers shared here will be of use to the community as a whole.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
Re: Editing Mixed Formats to Web -Total Confusion!
on Nov 2, 2010 at 9:14:08 am

[Justin Lewis] "
I'm confused about what to edit in (sequence settings etc), and then what to output in?"

If you have Premiere Pro CS5, then take all of the formats drop them in a timeline and output. The only thing you'll have to remember is 'scale to frame size' for those clips that are larger or smaller than your sequence settings. Also, I'd choose a 720p HD timeline as its easier to scale up SD material and scale down 1080 material.

If you're using FCP, you will need to convert pretty much everything to ProRes or Quicktime and then edit and output. Again, I'd choose 720p or a widescreen SD format.

Return to posts index

Justin Lewis
on Nov 2, 2010 at 10:31:36 pm

Thanks for the reply Dennis.

I'm in FCP - you said to convert to prorez first, then edit. Would it be ok to just set up a prorez timeline, then drop the different formats in as they are, so it will render out it prorez, or do I really need to convert all the clips first?

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Nov 3, 2010 at 9:55:59 am

Hey Justin,

I am the Adobe guy so am not the expert with FCP as others here are. FCP doesn't like to things like P2 natively and so you need to convert them to something like Quicktime or ProRes ahead of time in order to edit with FCP. My recommendation would be to convert all of your clips using the log and transfer feature in FCP for tapeless formats and then edit in FCP.

I pointed out Premiere Pro because you CAN work with native formats and mix frame rates, media, aspect ratio and the like without having to convert anything.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]