FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes frame size limitations?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
ProRes frame size limitations?
on Nov 1, 2010 at 6:15:02 pm

I know people have been talking about non-square frame sizes with the ProRes codecs.

I have a project that I want to deliver in ProRes 4444 with alpha at strange frame size (1280x1080) for a video wall. Can ProRes support that?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: ProRes frame size limitations?
on Nov 1, 2010 at 6:50:10 pm

It doesn't seem to do really well in FCP at odd sizes like that. Is that 1280x1080 anamorphic (like NTSC DVCPro HD)?

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Nov 1, 2010 at 7:00:19 pm

No.

I guess I needed to preface that I'm not using it in FCP, just After Effects...I posted it here because I'm using ProRes...but not Final Cut.

And no, it's not anamorphic...they are square.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 1, 2010 at 7:01:51 pm

I'd do some tests, but I have seen weird render artifacts (like green lines and weird stuff) from atypical frame sizes out of other applications.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 1, 2010 at 7:24:15 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I'd do some tests, but I have seen weird render artifacts (like green lines and weird stuff) from atypical frame sizes out of other applications."

Agreed -- and don't just test your render on your machine. You must also test it on the playout system to make sure there are no decode issues.

That said, I've used a few non-standard ProRes resolutions out of AE without trouble.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Nov 1, 2010 at 11:34:06 pm

I've used a lot of ProRes footage at 1280x800 resolution (i.e. 16x10) which works fine to work in FCP with. I would imagine AE and FCP would handle 1280x1080 fine. A few things to keep in mind / test:

- Possible gamma and / or rendering issues
- Possible work-flow speed-ups

I had all my footage in 1280x800 ProRes 422 HQ where I edited in a 1280x720 timeline for RT-playback and when finished, put everything in a 1280x800 sequence and removed all scaling / position attributes. Worked fine, but at times I could get issues with gamma difference between clips. My solution was to "re-encode each frame" on export.

Specifically when using AE as well there are some bugs with ProRes. Check Adobe's site for solutions / work-arounds.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Post Production Services
http://www.freecloud.se

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 2, 2010 at 2:49:31 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "Specifically when using AE as well there are some bugs with ProRes. "

These seem to have been pretty much fixed in CS5, although the alpha can get funky in 4x4.

It's not to say that it won't work, but I have found it to be unreliable. One transcode might work, the other won't. For my workflow, that can't cut it.

ProRes will take it's gamma setting from frame size, which might contribute to what you're seeing as well.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]