FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stabilizing footage that isn't shaky?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harry Powell
Stabilizing footage that isn't shaky?
on Oct 30, 2010 at 8:46:40 pm

I've tried searching the archive but without success ..

I'd like to eliminate a camera shift. SmoothCam is impressive with camera shake but doesn't work for this. There is no shake, just a slow slight re-adjustment I did while filming (on a tripod). I'd like to tell FCP (or Motion if absolutely necessary) to anchor on a particular stationary object in the frame, and adjust the rest of the frame accordingly.

Any ideas preferably within FCP, as I really don't know Motion well (but intend to take time-out to learn it properly at some point)?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Stabilizing footage that isn't shaky?
on Oct 30, 2010 at 11:10:07 pm

What you need is tracking, not stabilising. Time to learn a bit more about the power of Motion.

You can zoom in and do it manually in FCP with keyframes, but Motion or After Effects are much better designed for this.

Return to posts index

BJ Ahlen
Re: Stabilizing footage that isn't shaky?
on Oct 31, 2010 at 1:53:30 am

In editing a documentary, I got a 120 degree wide panning shot where someone had kicked the tripod right in the middle of the pan.

The camera dropped about 20 degrees, and I didn't have enough "air" to do tracking. The client was devastated, because the shot was just unusable, and it was an important part of the story.

I solved it in less than a minute by inserting a lens flare in the trailing corner at the exact moment the camera dropped.

This was enough to distract the eye, and when I showed the clip again with this fix, nobody saw anything wrong with the shot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]