from analog
on Oct 30, 2010 at 3:04:24 am

Hi

How to capture to FCP from VHS?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: from analog
on Oct 30, 2010 at 3:29:27 am

Dub to DV. Or get an analog-DV passthrough device. Canopus ADVC-110 is a good one.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 30, 2010 at 11:20:15 am

I have to disagree very much with Shane.
Whenever you digitize an analog signal, try to do it with the higher possible quality without regard of the picture quality. An analog signal is the same whenever comes from a humble VHD or a DigiBeta tape.
In fact there are more reasons to avoid further compression with stuff that has been previously compressed. VHS stuff has already suffered a lot (Color Under); Going DV will kill most of the remaining quality. A good quality capturing will allows to improve the picture on postproduction.
That's what I think: The weakest the source, the most care deserves.
Personally I would go Prores/Prores HQ.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Oct 30, 2010 at 6:16:00 pm

Fabio did not state his final output format, or what equipment he owns.

If he is going to DVCAM or some other flavor of DV, using ProRes would be of no value. He'd get hit with DV compression the moment its recorded to tape.

Return to posts index

Joe Paolo
on Oct 31, 2010 at 12:06:28 am

VHS=Digibeta? I spent many many years in the analog world. I remember when you couldn't broadcast a vhs tape.

Yes, maintain quality but listen to Shane.

joe
editmojo.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 31, 2010 at 9:53:34 am

[Joe Paolo] "VHS=Digibeta?"
The Analog Composite signal coming from a VHS player is exactly the same than the composite signal you get from any other device (DigiBeta, 1"C, Betacam,..): 1Volt peak to peak and the band-with corresponding to the TV standard.
What you get in the VIDEO OUT socket, is not any more VHS or DigiBeta, is a VBS (Video Base Signal).
Why to capture the same signal in two different fashions?

The picture quality may be different, but that is other issue.
rafael

Return to posts index

Joe Paolo
on Oct 31, 2010 at 8:19:37 pm

The signal standard is the same. What is delivering the signal is a world apart. If I plug a consumer camera into a D5 deck I will have a pristine digital recording, but will it look good?

joe
editmojo.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 31, 2010 at 9:31:01 pm

[Joe Paolo] " If I plug a consumer camera into a D5 deck I will have a pristine digital recording, but will it look good?"
Whatever the signal, will look better if you record on a D5 than if you record on a DV desk. That's for sure.
VHS is a low quality standard, but at least don't have any "Blockiness". If you like the DV look on top, go DV.
Rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]