FORUMS: list search recent posts

10 bit / 8 bit

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fábio Rodrigues
10 bit / 8 bit
on Oct 29, 2010 at 12:38:17 pm

I need to know the differece between exporting uncompressed 10 bit and 8 bit ...and when should I use one or another.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: 10 bit / 8 bit
on Oct 29, 2010 at 12:41:40 pm

Well, this depends on details you have not posted;

What format is your video shot in?
How much grfx/effects/layering do you do?
What is your final delivery destination?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Fábio Rodrigues
on Oct 29, 2010 at 12:59:52 pm

Thank you Chris,

But I don`t have a specific situation.
But suppose that it is shoot in DV25, with no many effects and for to be projected as a short movie.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Oct 29, 2010 at 1:47:40 pm

Total waste, total overkill. Don't bother.

You can't make the video better then the original.

A good practice when using dv25 footage is to edit in dv25 and when the edit is locked, change sequence settings to dv50 and re-render. This will give you the added color space and much better compression for stills/grfx/effects/moves/etc.

Or just start edit in dv50 timeline too.
Anything above that for the basic edit you mentioned is wasted time/space/energy.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 29, 2010 at 3:25:01 pm

[Chris Tompkins] "You can't make the video better then the original. "
I do not agree with this at all.
Part of our job consist in making video to look better than the original, and there are more things you can do to improve a humble DV clip than a perfect 35mm plate.
De-noise, Chroma filtering and a bit of color correction and nobody will ever guess your picture was originally DV.

8b or 10b?
We are in the Prores era, so whenever you use this codec use the "Render in High precision" option, and even when rendering to an 8b codec, this option means better rendering.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 29, 2010 at 1:48:02 pm

DV25 is 8-bit. Going to 10-bit don't get you anything.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Oct 29, 2010 at 2:57:56 pm

in this case a 10 bit timeline only helps a little when you have a lot of text/graphics etc

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Oct 29, 2010 at 4:27:28 pm

With all due respect Rafael - dropping dv25 video clips into a 10 bit timeline is NOT going to make the video any better @ all. It is by nature a 8 bit format.

As you'll see in my earlier post;

it will give you the added color space and much better compression for stills/grfx/effects/moves/etc.

But hey, you're free to disagree.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 29, 2010 at 5:37:30 pm

[Chris Tompkins] "With all due respect Rafael - dropping dv25 video clips into a 10 bit timeline is NOT going to make the video any better @ all. It is by nature a 8 bit format. "
Chris,
I think that I've proposed some other operations to improve the picture. No just to drop the DV in a 10b sequence.
Anyway, what I discuss is not this workflow, but your statement: You can't make the video better then the original.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 29, 2010 at 10:27:06 pm

I agree with Rafael. I always render the final online in 10 bit regardless of the source bit rate as I have shots with grades, titles, grads and other FX filters that render better in 10 bit. I also agree that an unprocessed DV file will look no different but throw a grad filter on the sky, some color correction and then render in 8 bit and 10 bit and notice the banding in the grad.

The difference is in the number of grey scale steps and this matters when original clips are being processed with filters.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]