FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playback issues FCP 7 ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jakob Mortensen
Playback issues FCP 7 ?
on Oct 29, 2010 at 8:08:46 am

Hey

I just upgraded to FCP 7 and one thing i noted was that it seems to be a lot faster during transfer of AVCHD files to the mac, eyahh.

BUT when I tranfer a few to proress 422, I can play them nicely in the viewer, BUT if I drag them to the timeline then the macbook chockes on playback. How is that ? I didnt have this problem in FCP 6, is the new version more hardware demanding or is it just playback settings ?

Another thing I would like to know how do I use those new prores codecs in FCP 7. I cant find a way to change it from 422 in the log and transfer window. Isnt 422 overkill when i have 720p files from a consumer cam (panasonic G2). Wouldnt the LT or even the proxy codec be able to hold all the detail from that format ?

Best wishes

Jakob

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
Re: Playback issues FCP 7 ?
on Oct 29, 2010 at 3:07:16 pm

You can change the settings in the Log and Transfer preferences.
Have you matched your FCP timeline?
When you drag your file in a empty timeline , on default, fcp should ask if you want to match the timeline with the fileformat.
Have you done this? If not. Check out your sequence settings.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 29, 2010 at 5:02:04 pm

[Jakob Mortensen] "I just upgraded to FCP 7... when I tranfer a few to proress 422, I can play them nicely in the viewer, BUT if I drag them to the timeline then the macbook chockes on playback. How is that ?"

It could be how you did the upgrade. The common wisdom among the heavy-hitters here is to do a clean install: you clone your current system drive for safety, uninstall the old software & OS, then install the new OS & software.

I've read that upgrading any other way else results in FCP weirdness. How'd you do your upgrade?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jakob Mortensen
on Oct 29, 2010 at 6:54:29 pm

Hey

I did remove the old version including prefs, and then I installed the new version. I didnt do it on a new system though.

BUT now that my brain started working again I wonder if the reason is that I didnt have the media on an external drive...

Best wishes

Jakob

Return to posts index

C David Miller
on Oct 30, 2010 at 7:03:24 am

Well, I know Walter and David are all going to bash me again, but FCP 7 is the best running version I have ever loaded on my G5 2x2.5 PPC. I use ProRes and ProResHQ for capture thru a LA AJA Box. If you want to know more, just drop me a private message at my email address

C. David Miller
video7105@comcast.net

Comcast Network Television

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]