FORUMS: list search recent posts

Output from FCP for editing in Sony Vegas

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Stacy
Output from FCP for editing in Sony Vegas
on Oct 28, 2010 at 4:07:49 pm

I've got footage from an HD camera in .mov format. I need to output MPEG-4 HD files so that I can hand them off to be edited in Sony Vegas.

Creating the MPEG-4 files is easy, but I want to ensure that what I export is of the highest quality for further editing. My current settings are:

Video Format: H.264
Data Rate: 6000
Optimized for: CD/DVD-ROM
Image Size: 1280 x 720 HD
Preserve aspect ration using: unchecked
Frame Rate: Current
Key Frame: Every
Video Options -
Restrict Profile(s) to: Main
Encoding Mode: Best quality (Multi-pass)

Any suggestions for improving the overall quality for further editing?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Output from FCP for editing in Sony Vegas
on Oct 28, 2010 at 4:26:17 pm

if you don't have access to the NLE being used, it is unwise to try to convert footage for use in that NLE. Most often you won't get it right. Just give them copies if the camera originals and let them import into Vegas.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paul Stacy
on Oct 28, 2010 at 4:49:34 pm

Believe me, I know it's unwise. It's where I'm at though. The files from the camera are .mov (switched later to MP4 once I realized what they would be editing with).

I've got to provide them something they can edit with and get a nice output. Not the optimal situation, but if anyone has any advice to maximize the quality of my MPEG-4 (for editing, not for final consumption) I'd be forever grateful.

I guess another solution could be if someone knew of a way to import .mov files into Sony Vegas. I'm being told it can't be done (not too familiar with Vegas, myself).

Return to posts index

Dave Brandt
on Oct 28, 2010 at 9:57:38 pm

Hi,

You can use Prores, any flavour. Vegas with quicktime installed will handle these files quite well

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Oct 29, 2010 at 1:22:02 am

Unless you have a special reason for doing so, I'd think transcoding to MP4 wrapped H264 files as an interchange format is almost certainly the wrong choice.

Does the footage you provide absolutely have to be MP4 or H264 or both ... or neither? If it has to be in an MP4 container but not necessarily H264 then you may want to use the free Sony XDCAM Transfer or XDCAM Browser app to export your footage via FCP as XDCAM EX footage (in its camera native MP4 wrapper).

Or another thing you could test (I have no idea if this would produce something usable on the Vegas end as you don't mention anything about your source format) is to just grab the original files and open them with MPEG Streamclip, then and "Save As..." and switch the container to MP4.

Hope it helps
Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]