FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro vs Media Composer vs Premiere

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Blackwell
Final Cut Pro vs Media Composer vs Premiere
on Oct 28, 2010 at 3:08:09 pm

Hi all,

I need to have the capability to create corporate videos for use on the web and for plasma/lcd displays.

I'm currently using Creative Suite on Mac for all our graphics.

The question I have is:

Which is best for this kind of work - Media Composer, Final Cut Pro or Premiere?

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
Re: Final Cut Pro vs Media Composer vs Premiere
on Oct 28, 2010 at 3:33:12 pm

Matthew:

This is an FCP board. Most people here will tell you to buy FCP.

Go over to the AVID section and most people will tell you to buy an AVID.

Go over to the CS5 section and most people will tell you to buy CS5.

For some reason, people have a religious zealotry about their editing software of choice, but I don't. Any of the three will work for what you are editing, the choice is up to you. Do your research and buy whichever suits your needs and preferences the best.

Dan Brockett

A Producer Who Is Also A DP? Yep, that's Me.

http://www.danbrockett.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Oct 28, 2010 at 3:38:36 pm

If you already have the creative suite and you are used to Adobe products, Premiere is easy to use and you won't need to spend any money.

Dan is right. Any of the three will be fine. I'd use what I already have.

Return to posts index

Matthew Blackwell
on Oct 28, 2010 at 3:43:02 pm

I just have the Design package which doesn't include Premiere, so whichever choice I make it won't be free. Otherwise my decision would have been made a lot easier!

Return to posts index

Matthew Blackwell
on Oct 28, 2010 at 3:38:52 pm

That's what I'm expecting, Dan. But I'm also hoping to get some personal reasons for why people use the software they use. Maybe someone always used Avid but is now a Premiere convert, who knows? I'm just trying to gauge some general opinion to help me make my decision.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 28, 2010 at 4:01:28 pm

[Matthew Blackwell] " That's what I'm expecting, Dan. But I'm also hoping to get some personal reasons for why people use the software they use."

Ease of use.

Installed Base.

Flexibility.

Price.

Those are the four main reasons I use FCP. Have been since 2001 and have delivered thousands of hours of broadcast and independent programming during that time in HD and SD.

I'm waiting to see if FCP improves their tapeless workflow with the next release as Avid and Premiere have recently done. When FCP no longer meets my needs, I'll switch to something else. My entire infrastructure will support any of the NLE's you mention.

As Dan notes, it's purely personal preference if you are an independent editor. Use the tool that best suits your needs and budget. And also consider your marketplace. What is everyone else in your area using? If you're an island in a sea of other NLEs, that will cause problems for you to work with other editors and production houses.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Oct 28, 2010 at 4:02:25 pm

I'm the Adobe guy, so clearly take what I'm saying with a grain (or several) of salt.

Why Premiere Pro over MC5 or FCP7
1 - PSD integration. We support every aspect of PSD including layer styles & layer masks - both of which are NOT supported by FCP
2 - resolution independent playback engine. Will handle almost any codec you throw at it, natively.
3 - After Effects. Kiosks and Info type displays will almost certainly use some kind of motion graphics work. AE is the standard and there are a lot of templates that you can purchase if you're not an expert.
4 - 64-bit native means you get the most out of your Mac or PC. CS5 is the fastest of the three (generally speaking)

The above are just some quick thoughts that are specific to your query. I can agree with the others who will tell you that all three will likely do the job adequately or more. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Oct 28, 2010 at 6:54:28 pm

Dennis,

Do you work for Adobe? Do you edit with FCP?

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Oct 28, 2010 at 6:57:36 pm

[Devin Crane] "Do you work for Adobe? Do you edit with FCP?"

Yes, and not really...

I know FCP and helped map the kybd shortcuts for our FCP mapping in CS5, but I clearly do not do professional editing with FCP on a regular basis. After all, I AM the Adobe guy. ;-)

Dennis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]