FORUMS: list search recent posts

Used Normalize in FCP for Audio and Have Some ???s

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Smith
Used Normalize in FCP for Audio and Have Some ???s
on Oct 28, 2010 at 3:57:21 am

Hey guys,
I was keeping my DB at -12 for my audio levels in FCP. Then a friend told me to do -6 instead. I have normalized all the audio and have messed with the levels to put them at -6... now I have found out from the owner of the venue where the film will be showing that he recommends -12... is there a way to do this rather than going clip by clip and adjusting?
thanks
jared

Return to posts index

Jared Smith
Re: Used Normalize in FCP for Audio and Have Some ???s
on Oct 28, 2010 at 4:01:11 am

Should I just start over and do this:
http://www.larryjordan.biz/articles/lj_normalizing_audio.html

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 28, 2010 at 4:34:48 am

There is a world of difference between normalizing peak levels and matching apparent volume. FCP is not an audio finishing tool so you will be better to send to Sound Track Pro which will let you apply dynamics processors to give you channel based peak level control and the ability to change both clip gain and channel gain, plus basic bussing of dialog, music and FX to create a nice final mix.

I am not a fan of normalising as it often changes the matching atmos levels between sync dialog in order to create a common peak level. It can create a lot of work to undo this as it makes dialog really lumpy.

Normalising is a bit like auto color grading. 90% of the time you will not like the result.

Return to posts index

Jared Smith
on Oct 28, 2010 at 5:07:57 am

so at this point in the game is there a way to get rid of the normalizing that i have done? i guess it would be ideal to get it back to how it was originally before sending it to STP. i am not a fan of STP simply because i am not comfortable with it and have no spent much time with it. this project is due monday so i highly doubt i will have enough time to really get it perfect, but it needs some audio help for sure!!!

let me know if there is a way to undo what i have done with the normalizing in FCP... is it just under filters and i need to go clip by clip and uncheck the box???

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Oct 28, 2010 at 6:08:02 am

Hi Jared

Using the "Apply Normalization Gain" function in FCP 7 adds the "Gain" filter to the selected audio clips. If you want to remove any of this normalization then just remove those filters. If you have also adjusted levels manually in the timeline and want to remove those adjustments then you can use the "Remove Attributes" method ... select the clips you want to return to their original state and choose Edit menu > Remove Attributes and then tick the "Levels" checkbox under the Audio Attributes section in the consequent dialog. If wanted (and useful if you have no other audio filters applied) you can use the same Remove Attributes method to remove the Gain filter from all your clips in one fell swoop ... just tick the "Filters" checkbox in the same section. (Note that it will remove all audio filters from the selected clips if you so this, not just the Gain filter).

Hope it helps
Andy

Return to posts index

Jared Smith
on Oct 28, 2010 at 6:10:59 am

Thanks so much... Color is Rendering right now so I am trying to stay out of its way and not opening FCP right now... I know I will get reemed for not saying this in the first post, but all of these questions are for FCP 6... but I believe your suggestion will work on 6 as well- right?

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Oct 28, 2010 at 6:13:22 am

Yes, same for FCP 6.

Best
Andy

Return to posts index

jon smitherton
on Oct 28, 2010 at 8:14:01 am

You could just pull down the master in the audio tool.

Jon

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Oct 28, 2010 at 3:41:05 pm

[jon smitherton] "You could just pull down the master in the audio tool.
"

If you like the mix you have, this is certainly the easiest and fastest way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]