FORUMS: list search recent posts

Render Madness in ProRes 422

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Johnson
Render Madness in ProRes 422
on Oct 27, 2010 at 9:21:41 am

I'm using Final Cut 6.0.6 on OSX 10.5.8 using my 15" MacBook Pro with the 2.16 Intel Core Duo and 2GB of RAM. I'm using an eSATA cable to a 4TB external drive.

The project I'm editing will deliver on DVD and Quicktime...they're wanting to be able to view it in small groups and project it to a crowd. It's a mix of footage pulled from DVD with Handbrake and converted to Apple ProRes 422 in MPEG Streamclip in a variety of screen resolutions...I left them unscaled, AVI movies converted to 422 Quicktimes in MPEG Streamclip, uncompressed high-def Quicktime movies, JPEG still images, web banner graphics, and probably a few more things that will show up tomorrow.

I haven't edited 422 before, but from what I read it sounded like a good solution...I could set my project to 422, convert all my files to 422 and not have to render. Wrong. I have to render everything, any time I adjust it. I set the project up as 720p so I could output a high quality Quicktime at the end. I didn't know what codec or resolution to use, since there's not one source driving the choice and client wants as high quality output as they can get. My laptop is older and is as updated as I can get it...not a lot of firepower.

Anyway...what format would work better for this situation, and is there anything I can do to rescue what I have, or do I need to blow it up and start over?

Thanks,
Brad

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Render Madness in ProRes 422
on Oct 27, 2010 at 11:08:45 am

[Brad Johnson] "
I haven't edited 422 before, but from what I read it sounded like a good solution...I could set my project to 422, convert all my files to 422 and not have to render. Wrong. I"

Is not only about the codec. Footage and sequence must have the same parameters (size, field order, pixels aspect..) to avoid rendering.
I would make a Prores sequence and drop the orginal stuff to see how it works. The transcode only the necessary stuff.
You can try to re-wrap the AVI footage. Open it with MPGStreamclip > Save as..> QT.
No rendering.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: nder Madness in ProRes 422
on Oct 27, 2010 at 2:27:03 pm

Why use 720p when your pulling from a DVD? And no reason to use Handbrake then mpeg streamclip for the DVD material, just use mpeg streamclip with the VOB files on your DVD.

Return to posts index

Brad Johnson
on Oct 27, 2010 at 3:50:37 pm

Thank you for the advice. I have 40-50 clips from DVD already in ProRes 422 and I'd hate to have to re-capture them all...do you see another option? One of the reasons I went hi-def is because one of the elements is showcasing a 30-second commercial that's a hi-def Quicktime. Do I just need to keep creating sequences and see if any of them play well with the material?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 27, 2010 at 3:55:41 pm

[Brad Johnson] "One of the reasons I went hi-def is because one of the elements is showcasing a 30-second commercial that's a hi-def Quicktime."

Yes, but if a bulk of your material is SD, there's no reason to upscale everything else, especially from a DVD.

For the stuff you have already converted, make a new empty sequence and drag one of the clips you converted to it. Hit yes to accept the settings, then hit command-zero to being up sequence settings, and take a screen cap and post it here.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Brad Johnson
on Oct 27, 2010 at 7:51:27 pm

Here is the initial sequence setting:

And here are 3 separate clips:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]