FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red vs. White

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham Fisher
Red vs. White
on Oct 26, 2010 at 9:52:59 pm

Hi,

I have created text animations using Boris Title 3D and some of them are giving trouble. Animations using a white font look great, but animations using a red font are pixelated and jagged. Aside from the different colors, the fonts are the same, using the same point size and speed of motion.

Sequence settings:
1920x1080
Apple ProRes 422

Many thanks in advance,
Graham

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Red vs. White
on Oct 26, 2010 at 10:09:15 pm

Reduce the red saturation. It'll still look good.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Graham Fisher
on Oct 26, 2010 at 10:20:53 pm

Thank you, Dave. I fiddled w/ the red, and the closer I pull it to a sort of mauve color, the less the pixelation.

Ideally though, it'd be best to stick w/ the deep red. The piece is about vampires, and needs to be extreme.

If there is another way to reach a happy ending, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 26, 2010 at 11:03:32 pm

[Graham Fisher] "If there is another way to reach a happy ending, I'd love to hear it. "

Are you by any chance working in a DV sequence???

If so, then that will undoubtedly make your vampire bleed. Switch the Compressor in Sequence Settings to ProRes and re-render, you'll see an enormous change for the better, as you'll be working in 10-bit 4:2:2 color space.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Graham Fisher
on Oct 26, 2010 at 11:21:21 pm

Happily, the sequence is in HD ProRes 422, which is partly why I was surprised. If this were DV, yes, nastiness like this would be the rule.

Thank you guys, you've been a lot of help.

Graham

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 27, 2010 at 8:35:15 am

[Graham Fisher] "Happily, the sequence is in HD ProRes 422, "
Did you set "Render in High Precision"?
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Graham Fisher
Re: Redd vs. White
on Oct 27, 2010 at 6:23:38 pm

Yes, the timeline is set to render 10-bit material in high-precision YUV.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 27, 2010 at 2:55:43 pm

[Graham Fisher] "If there is another way to reach a happy ending, I'd love to hear it. "

There are a couple of ways to avoid illegal reds or reds that just don't look good.

If you don't like the look of reduced chroma, drop the luminance and boost the saturation back up... but not all the way up. You'll get a deep red, and depending on your background, it'll look pretty cool.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Graham Fisher
on Oct 27, 2010 at 6:37:12 pm

"If you don't like the look of reduced chroma, drop the luminance and boost the saturation back up... but not all the way up. You'll get a deep red"

This got a decent result. Eased things back, but preserved most of what we were going for. Thank you for the extra idea!

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Oct 26, 2010 at 10:41:35 pm

Red is probably the toughest color to use for titles. It tends to highlight color subsampling more visibly than other colors, whereas white is purely luma channel, so the color subsampling isn't visible.

How are you monitoring the footage? It will look worse in the FCP canvas than on a broadcast monitor.

Return to posts index

Graham Fisher
on Oct 26, 2010 at 10:58:25 pm

Awesome, good to know the reason at least.

"Monitoring" on LCD. Less than desirable, but that's what is in my bay. Glad it might look a little better in finishing. Interestingly, I did try a 10 bit sequence and that still didn't look good.

Graham

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 27, 2010 at 1:48:05 am

ProRes is 10 bit.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 27, 2010 at 4:04:46 am

So, what's the reading on your vectorscope? Is it legal? You can't just use any red.

Return to posts index

Graham Fisher
on Oct 27, 2010 at 6:41:07 pm

"what's the reading on your vectorscope? Is it legal? You can't just use any red."

It is legal.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]