FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 and ProTools multi-track sound build

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Alans
FCP 7 and ProTools multi-track sound build
on Oct 25, 2010 at 8:32:39 pm

Hello and thanks in advance for any advice! I'm about to post (mid-November) a show similar to Bill Mahr-- in-studio, multi-cam, live audience and three talent. I'm cutting with camera sound (HDSR) but the producers want to rebuild the sound in Protools (recorded simultaneously).

I am using sound from one camera reel only, which will have the identical name as the Protools session. There will be a new Protools session that corresponds to each tape change. Both Protools and cameras will be sync'd to time of day 29.97 NDF tc.

My question: I've been told that in order for Protools to truly read the edl from FCP, an assistant has to go through the "dailies" and manually enter the tc into a Cinema Tools database. They also said it is Cinema Tools that will produce the audio edls.

Can anyone verify this or recommend a more simple workflow?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP 7 and ProTools multi-track sound build
on Oct 25, 2010 at 11:49:49 pm

Not sure about how ProTools works as I use Fairlight. For an EDL to work it just has to have accurate timecode which you are doing and a reel number that matches a project file name. The Fairlight lets you map that so name matching doesn't matter, just that a project has the same audio as a particular reel with matching code. The Fairlight also lets you assign a video or audio track in an EDL to any audio tracks in the project including multiple tracks.

If ProTools needs something other than a standard EDL to reconform, then mucking around with cinema tools may be necessary.

Return to posts index

Joe Paolo
on Oct 26, 2010 at 2:06:29 pm

For double system sound the Protools guys around here ask for an edl along with the OMF. They used the edl to conform the audio which,as I understand it, just drops into the protools project.

joe
editmojo.com

Return to posts index

Richard Alans
on Oct 26, 2010 at 4:23:54 pm

Joe,
Thanks, I understand that. The issue I'm having is that the EDL generated by FCP doesn't allow Protools to create a multi-track EDL. I'll be cutting with 4 track audio but the Protools will have 16-24 tracks. I need to confirm how to prep thru Cinema Tools.

Return to posts index

Joe Paolo
on Oct 26, 2010 at 5:41:14 pm

Once they have timecodes They should be able to import all the tracks they want. I give then 4 mono tracks as they define it. Usually CH1-sync, CH2-Nat, CH3-4 anthing I think they might find useful.

Lets look at just the sync stuff. My guys open the edl ch1 and it relates to the 8 track files they use. This is then put into the protools project. This is repeated for all tracks so they end up with a 32 track sequence that matches my 4 channel edl.

Now I'm not sure if the edl converter is a separate utility or part of protools.

joe
editmojo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 27, 2010 at 2:04:42 am

EDLs are not designed to have huge audio track numbers. I would be surprised if they can't map a single EDL track to mulitple ProTools tracks. This is basic functionality that audio systems need to conform EDLs from video edit suites.

Why don't you ask your audio post people what they actually need.

Return to posts index

Richard Alans
on Oct 27, 2010 at 7:56:17 pm

I get all that and have spoken to the audio people-- they just haven't done it this way before and I am trying to confirm a solid workflow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]