FORUMS: list search recent posts

Green Screen Problem - BCC Chroma Key

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Pitt
Green Screen Problem - BCC Chroma Key
on Oct 25, 2010 at 5:31:04 pm

I normally do all my keying in AE, but I have a series of quick shots that we did that I need to key in Final Cut. The key isn't the problem. I was able to pull a very nice key using the BCC Chroma Key plug-in. I have my shot looking exactly the way I want it, but as soon as I render, it all goes to crap!!!

I don't know if this is a render settings issue or what, but my colors are all shot, and my blacks become a magenta that is now semi-transparent.

Does anyone have any idea what is happening here???

Brian

Return to posts index

Brian Pitt
Re: Green Screen Problem - BCC Chroma Key
on Oct 25, 2010 at 5:47:02 pm

Here is an example of what is happening. (keep in mind this isn't color graded or anything...I'm just trying to illustrate the problem I'm having after rendering.)

Brian

Return to posts index

Brian Pitt
on Oct 25, 2010 at 5:49:07 pm

Let me try this one more time...

I had to compress to jpeg, so it looks pretty crappy, but the key on my timeline looks how I want it until I render.

Brian

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 25, 2010 at 6:01:40 pm

I don't trust long-gop footage to perform as advertised in FCP when effects are involved. Could that be contributing to the problem?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brian Pitt
on Oct 25, 2010 at 6:54:08 pm

I'm really not sure because everything looks great until it is rendered. I can even scrub through the footage and it looks good. But when I render...it turns to crap.

Brian

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 25, 2010 at 6:58:50 pm

Tell you what: transcode just one of the chroma key shots to ProRes 422, and pull the key in a ProRes edit timeline. See what happens.

Here's another thought: duplicate your edit timeline, change the codec of the duplicate to ProRes 422, and see what happens.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Brian Pitt
on Oct 25, 2010 at 7:10:10 pm

I'm already working with ProRes422. I'm really confused here. If I bring it into AE, I can key no problem...but due to the work flow and other people involved in the project, I really need to pull the key in Final Cut.

Brian

Return to posts index

Brian Pitt
on Oct 25, 2010 at 7:11:02 pm

I may just have to end up working in AE or Motion. No idea...

Brian

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Oct 25, 2010 at 5:48:58 pm

Maybe you need to check in the filter's tab as to what kind of output are you looking at.

I use primatte RT and it works very well for me.

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 25, 2010 at 7:24:53 pm

The magenta is your spill-suppression/edge control in the keyer; you may have it turned up too high? Try choking it back a little?

Return to posts index

Brian Pitt
on Oct 25, 2010 at 9:26:07 pm

I don't think that's the problem because I have the spill suppression set just how I want it. Take a look at the photos in my earlier post. Before I render, everything is looks the way I want it to.

Brian

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 25, 2010 at 9:41:37 pm

[Brian Pitt] "Before I render, everything is looks the way I want it to."

...and that's why I think it might be your footage.

HDV, XDCam and H.264 -- the most common offenders -- are all long-gop codecs that may not manifest problems until you 1) use a bunch of it in a single timeline or 2) start applying and rendering effects used on it.

So do yourself a favor: transcode a clip to ProRes, pull the key in a ProRes timeline and see if there's any difference.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Anssi Korhonen
on Oct 26, 2010 at 4:59:54 pm

I'm having same sort of problem. Only bit more drastic...
I have a ProRes clip and two keyed tracks over it (both of them ProRes clips just like the first one). Everything looks fine on the timeline but after rendering, the two overlay tracks with chroma key disappear completely!

I'm completely lost here...

Return to posts index

Brian Pitt
on Oct 26, 2010 at 7:26:24 pm

As I have already stated, I am already working with ProRes footage in a ProRes sequence.

Brian

Return to posts index

Anssi Korhonen
on Oct 27, 2010 at 2:57:26 pm

Problem solved, I had the YUV rendering turned on as it should've been RGB. duh...
Hope you get yours fixed too Brian...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]