FORUMS: list search recent posts

Two Macs, Different Hard Drives, Same Project---Seamless Path Recognition?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaun Knapp
Two Macs, Different Hard Drives, Same Project---Seamless Path Recognition?
on Oct 24, 2010 at 8:58:33 pm

I've got an editing project, an external Firewire 800 RAID which I edit on at home. I'm going to begin to bring the same project to work as well. At work, I wish to dump the files onto the Mac computer there.

My setup is that I have the "Final Cut Pro Documents" folder on my RAID drive, containing all my footage. On my startup disc I have a "FCP Projects" folder, and in there I have the different project files where I save the actual FCP project file.

What is a good workflow to be able to edit on one computer, using the RAID at home, the having the files copied from the RAID at work and left on internal drives there but with the FCP file recognizing all the files so that the paths are correct and there isn't an issue of relinking media?

Thanks a ton for suggestions. I've been living in front of my mac for the last week, and feel I'm posting too frequently questions here. Without this forum's help, I'd have some significant issues unresolved as yet. I thank you guys who are so good and willing to post feedback---and who do so graciously and in a friendly manner.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Two Macs, Different Hard Drives, Same Project---Seamless Path Recognition?
on Oct 24, 2010 at 9:04:00 pm

Have the drives have the exact same name...and then make sure that the file structure on them is EXACTLY the same. The best way to ensure this would be to CLONE the drive at work to the one at home. Then just bring the project file back and forth, or export XML files of the cut you are working on.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 24, 2010 at 9:13:14 pm

If you cannot have the HD/RAID named the same still make sure you have the file structure the same, you will have to reconnect with each pass but it is not that bad since it links all the fills in the same location. This is kind of the next best thing.

HD and folders-files with exact match it is seamless.

Return to posts index

Larry Asbell
on Oct 25, 2010 at 12:49:35 am

As far as I can tell, if you have to re-connect media because the path changed, there is still no way to re-connect renders. If there is a workaround allowing one to reconnect renders, can anyone describe it?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 25, 2010 at 1:07:36 am

You can't reconnect the renders, unless you copy them from drive to drive. Best to just redo them.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shaun Knapp
on Oct 25, 2010 at 1:32:26 am

Thanks you guys for this input. I may just try to rename the hard drives at work on that computer. If not, then I'll keep the file structure the same and reconnect each time.

Return to posts index

giancarlo morieri
on May 4, 2011 at 9:31:43 am

Hello People
I have a similar issue here.
a friend of mine and I are editing a work we did recently.
we started working on his Imac, and now i want to keep editing on mine macbookpro 17".
so I copied (cloned) the entire files on my (new) Lacie 2T usb3.
and then i opened the .fcp , connected all the files.
BUT
for the video files, everything works fine
for the audio files fcp gives me an error message saying something like that the files could have problems

i click "continue" (cause "try again" doesn't work)

then when I connect all the files and play the sequence, the videos are all fine (cuts and everything) but for some audio there are problems of syncro, the cuts are all right , but the parts selected are not correct.

if you can help, i would appreciate.
we are both using fcp7

have a good one

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]