FORUMS: list search recent posts

G5 Quad died; what can I keep going forward?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dick Kindig
G5 Quad died; what can I keep going forward?
on Oct 23, 2010 at 7:08:39 pm

I have a G5 Quad that died yesterday. I need to get a MacPro, but what I get partially hinges on what I can keep and reuse.

I have a Kona LHe that AJA said they would upgrade to an Intel compatible version for no charge.

XSERVE Raid Array with Apple Fibre Chanel PCIe card. Will it still work?

Medea Raid Array also, both are working with Q Logic SanBox 3050 and Command Soft Fibre Jet software.

FirmTek SeriTek 5PM enclosure with 2se4 PCIX 2-channel eSata card. Will this card still work?

Finally, there's a bewildering array of MacPro options. Do I need to be thinking Nehalem or Westmere? How much RAM do you recommend and what processor speeds will make a practical difference for long-format FCP and Motion editing (and Aperture work), with less than average demands for special effects and little 3d rendering?

I already have my 2 23 inch cinema displays, etc. I have a backlog of tapes from a former HDV camera (JVC HD100) but am now shooting exclusively HD 1080x1920 but haven't bought a new higher end camera yet... I need this system to be able to accommodate higher end camera files.

Any thoughts on what I should get and what I can avoid replacing?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: G5 Quad died; what can I keep going forward?
on Oct 23, 2010 at 7:50:20 pm

For the record, AJA does not make hardware upgrades. However, you're in luck, because all your PCIe cards are good to go, as there's no such thing as Intel vs non-intel PCIe hardware, just different drivers.

Do a search and you'll find out what you need to put in a MacPro, it's covered a zillion times here every week.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Colorist - UP IN THE AIR (electronic press kit) - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 23, 2010 at 11:35:10 pm

PCIx is no good to you. I had to ditch an ATTO fibre channel card and my Decklink when going from a dual G5 to MacPro end of last year because they were both PCIx.

There were esata driver issues with Snow Leopard but I think that has been resolved but other may care to comment on suitable PCIe esata cards to go with your FirmTek drive. Perhaps it would be worth contacting the various manufacturers of your external drives for recommendations for interface cards and driver support.

Personally, I try to buy the best grunty processor available at the time even though they aren't cheap. I prefer to get longer out of my system than change on a shorter cycle. In the long run it probably isn't any difference in price but it means having a longer period with a stable working system before turning over hardware.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 24, 2010 at 12:54:39 am

Actually, the original post said he had a an AJA LHe, so I assumed all of his cards were PCIe. Evidently he's mistaken about something, because the LHe is PCIe, not PCIx. So, who the heck knows???

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Colorist - UP IN THE AIR (electronic press kit) - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 24, 2010 at 1:50:36 am

[Dick Kindig] "FirmTek SeriTek 5PM enclosure with 2se4 PCIX 2-channel eSata card. Will this card still work?"

David, I don't know the quad G5s but perhaps they had a mix of PCIe and PCIx

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 24, 2010 at 5:04:19 pm

[Michael Gissing] "I don't know the quad G5s but perhaps they had a mix of PCIe and PCIx"

Nope Michael, only one PCI bus per main board, so you're either PCIx or PCIe. The problem here is Dick's confusion.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]