FORUMS: list search recent posts

MOV files taking forever to render

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jackie Forbes
MOV files taking forever to render
on Oct 23, 2010 at 4:18:59 pm

Normally I would just convert the files to DV so I wouldn't have to render them, but I can't do that for this particular project because it's in HD and I need to keep the high quality. I have Final Cut Pro 5.0.4, and the codec for the files is "H.264, Integer" (I think -- I'm amateur hour and don't know all of the technical stuff yet).

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: MOV files taking forever to render
on Oct 23, 2010 at 5:45:23 pm

You should not edit h.264 natively in FCP, it is not an editing codec and it is fraught with problems. There are posts all over this forum every day about this if you search.

Because you're using an ancient version of FCP with no ProRes support, your material should be transcoded to either AIC or DVCProHD for editing. Make certain that your audio is changed to 48khz during the transcode as well.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Colorist - UP IN THE AIR (electronic press kit) - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jackie Forbes
on Oct 23, 2010 at 6:00:39 pm

Thank you so much! What program would I use to convert it to DVCProHD?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 23, 2010 at 10:40:07 pm

Compressor, MPEG Streamclip, QT Player, etc.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Colorist - UP IN THE AIR (electronic press kit) - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Michael Locke
on Oct 24, 2010 at 5:45:36 am

Sir, consistently a gentlemen and a mensch. Proved so often in how you deal with those less advantaged then yourself. Continue...ML

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]