FORUMS: list search recent posts

playback choppy AFTER render

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeff marr
playback choppy AFTER render
on Oct 22, 2010 at 2:01:30 pm

so i'm editing 1080p24 prores footage from the panasonic 150 in final cut and doing some after effects work to it. I export a pro res file from final cut, bring it in to AE and do my stuff, then export a prores file from AE bring it into final cut and it plays fine on the timeline. Then I put a levels filter on it render it and it plays back with a lower frame rate. Even weirder is if i go frame by frame i can see duplicate frames that aren't there before i render it.

this has never happened to me before and after trying to figure it out for the better part pf the day yesterday I'm totally stumped.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: playback choppy AFTER render
on Oct 22, 2010 at 3:33:12 pm

Oh, I can think of a few reasons for this choppiness.

Did you remove the 3:2 pulldown from the footage BEFORE you edited in FCP, which you should always do for effects work, and ESPECIALLY if you're going to a different application? No?

Did you believe the LIE perpetrated by Apple that the NTSC film frame rate is 23.98, when it's actually 23.976? Yes?

Thus, did you do your AE work at 23.98 instead of 23.976, because you were unaware that After Effects actually calls a spade a spade and requires that you use 23.976? Yes?

I'd say it's time to go back to Square One and fix things.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

jeff marr
on Oct 22, 2010 at 4:04:06 pm

i made the frame rate on my comp in AE 23.976 and exported my prores file from AE with a frame rate of 23.976 and it fixed the problem.

I didn't realize how precise you had to be with the frame rates, but now i do.

thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 22, 2010 at 4:58:32 pm

Glad to hear you took the time to get the pulldown issue taken care of at the start. People tend to blow it off either out of sheer ignorance or thinking it isn't important.

Incidentally, if you open AE and highlight your footage in the project window, you will see the information about the clip at the very top... including the frame rate, 23.976.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Laslo
on Nov 5, 2010 at 8:00:00 pm

Sorry to dig up an old topic but I am trying to solve my footage being choppy and I'm not sure if its the same issue.

I have the panasonic HMC 150 and when I am working at 720P NTSC ProRes and it seems after working for a while the footage gets a bit stuttery and jumpy. I notice it most in mouth movement where it seems frames are being dropped. When I close FCP and restart the program it sometimes is better, when I restart the computer it is usually good for a while. I am running a 2.66 quad core mac pro with 8 GB or ram

1) could you explain the 3:2 pulldown to me - I do not know what this is
2) Do you think this is what my problem could be - final output seems fine
3) any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 5, 2010 at 11:48:13 pm

Basic issues first. Does the sequence match the footage? Is everything rendered? Is your hard drive and connection method (FW, USB eSata etc) fast enough?

Also what version of FCP are you on. Version 7 when first released had drop frame issues so is your software & OS up to date.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]