FORUMS: list search recent posts

Western Digital External Hard Drive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rachel Miller
Western Digital External Hard Drive
on Oct 21, 2010 at 3:20:41 pm

Hi Guys,

Recently I purchased a 500 GB WD drive. I did not know that it had a speed of 5600 RPM and this would cause constant drop frames when editing. The salesman at Best Buy didn't inform me about this. I have been editing using a G tech 7200 rpm drive that works wonderfully but I won't have access to it anymore. Can I keep using mines or I'm out of luck and need to purchase a new one?

Thanks,

Rachel

Return to posts index

Jim Glickert
Re: Western Digital External Hard Drive
on Oct 21, 2010 at 3:43:31 pm

I think you'd be better off buying a new hard drive. The WD is only going to give you headaches. Get a 7200 rpm (or higher) drive with a higher capacity (1 or 2 TB), and with a fast connection (like FireWire or eSATA). Use your WD as a backup drive. In video editing, it seems like you can never have enough storage.

Jim

Return to posts index

Rachel Miller
on Oct 21, 2010 at 3:48:16 pm

Thanks for the reply! Is it possible though for me to be able to edit using this drive for a 7 minute trailer?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 21, 2010 at 5:06:37 pm

What is the connection you're using on that drive Rachel? Firewire 400, 800, or USB?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Colorist - UP IN THE AIR (electronic press kit) - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Rachel Miller
on Oct 21, 2010 at 6:45:16 pm

USB

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 21, 2010 at 6:48:07 pm

[Rachel Miller] "USB"

There's the problem, it's not the drive speed. USB does not deliver the necessary sustained throughput for video editing. There's a reason they are cheaper than firewire drives...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Colorist - UP IN THE AIR (electronic press kit) - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Kenny Powerass
on Oct 21, 2010 at 11:08:34 pm

I've been working on a project with another editor for a while. He filled two identical media drives and shipped one to me. He used WD MyPassport SE portable USB drives. When it arrived I told him it would never work and we'd have to upgrade to firewire. He said he'd done it before and it was fine. I agreed to go with it until the edits were too complicated for the USB to manage.
In months of working this way, with multi-layered HDV video and audio we've never had so much as a hiccup. I'm pleasantly surprised.
I say test out your drive and see if it can handle what you're throwing at it first, but be ready to upgrade if it doesn't.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]