FORUMS: list search recent posts

Brand new mac and final cut studio... CRASH CRASH CRASH

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Wall
Brand new mac and final cut studio... CRASH CRASH CRASH
on Oct 20, 2010 at 6:54:30 pm

Recently purchased a 2x2.4 Ghz Quad mac with 16GB of ram. Brand new install of Final Cut Studio. Completely updated all software.

Our "Consultant" who outfitted us with everything says he installed FC Studio with a disk image... then we put in our serials.

Final Cut seems to just stop and crash in the middle of playing the timeline. It's getting progressively worse!!!

Have no idea what's going on. Driving me crazy!!

AW

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Brand new mac and final cut studio... CRASH CRASH CRASH
on Oct 21, 2010 at 12:14:15 am

Contact your consultant. They should make sure it is working right.

But, just to check...what type of footage are you working with? Where is it stored? What are your sequence settings? Devil's in the details...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 21, 2010 at 12:19:27 am

[Andrew Wall] "Completely updated all software."

1) Please explain this thoroughly...

2) What happens when you go to Apple>Software Update?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Colorist - UP IN THE AIR (electronic press kit) - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Sam Cole
on Oct 21, 2010 at 12:33:49 am

I recall a few years ago when our company went from Adobe Premiere 3 to FCP 5.
We could not believe how stable it was going from 20+ crashes a day on multiple Adobe Premiere systems to ZERO crashes everyday on our one and only FCP system.
Over the last couple of years we have replaced all but one of our edit suites with FCP and kept them up-to-date.

But now we find that we are getting 10 to 15 crashes a day on all our FCP systems. Seems we have gone the full circle as our one and only Adobe Premiere system (CS5), now the latest version has ZERO crashes.
Its like a reverse groundhog day!

Must have something to do with the number 5.

Sam Cole
On line Mastering Facility
FCP, Avid, Adobe
Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 21, 2010 at 6:10:46 am

[Sam Cole] "But now we find that we are getting 10 to 15 crashes a day on all our FCP systems."

Then keep editing Sam, and don't leave your job to become a systems integrator.

Whatever you're doing down there in Oz is just not right. Maybe Apple machines don't like being upside down? I assure you, none of my machines, and none that my clients own ever suffer more than a crash every six months, if that.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Colorist - UP IN THE AIR (electronic press kit) - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Oct 21, 2010 at 7:38:23 am

David
"Maybe Apple machines don't like being upside down?"

Maybe, but I thinks it has to be the Coriolis Effect disrupting the HD's!

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 21, 2010 at 5:34:05 pm

[Scott Sheriff] "I thinks it has to be the Coriolis Effect disrupting the HD's!"

Good call Scott.

I agree, drives spinning backwards might indeed cause all twenty of Sam's FCP machines to crash slightly more often. However, the tax rate in Oz is very low, and conceivably that would make up for the lost time due to the Coriolis Effect. Plus, the downtime simply provides more time for beer and shrimp on the barbie...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Oct 21, 2010 at 1:35:49 pm

'But now we find that we are getting 10 to 15 crashes a day on all our FCP systems. '

Like most software , final cut pro crashes for a reason. There ALWAYS is a source of the crash.
Find the source and you can fix it.

When people are editing with bad codecs, in bad timelines, with bad settings.
It's not FCP that is causing the crashes.

Return to posts index

Sam Cole
on Oct 21, 2010 at 11:12:26 pm

Thanks all for your comments and observations, humorous or not. But just reading these forums and Apple's own FCP forums it seems I am not the only one having FCP 7 crashing issues; dunnies flushing backwards or not!
I spoke to my boss about the 'system integrator' which is what he is and he told me to come back here and ask what has system integration got to do with 'a stock standard Mac Pro with a Blackmagic Mulibridge all the latest drivers and software versions as a clean instal'.
But to be honest I may have been a little flippant with my details; the crashes are mainly when dealing with XDCAM EX media and HDV media (the boss here has been working with Apple people resolving the HDV problem which from what I understand is a FCP caching problem when scrubbing the timeline; seems it has problems doing rapid HDV frame decodes - workaround is to not scrub so fast. But this is the same problem I get with XDCAM timelines so maybe the two are interlinked.
In all honesty I just finished a 2 week edit in standard def uncompressed 10bit (it had been a while since doing something SD and I was continually complaining about the picture quality off the digibeta tapes!) anyhow - only crashed once in the whole 2 weeks.
In another room they were editing HDCAM uncompressed 8 bit and it seemed that was pretty stable too although when I went in there to talk about it they were scrubbing the timeline and then became unresponsive for about 5 secs with the beachball spinning and then POOF! FCP just disappeared. Now where have I seen that before . . . ?
I have been told to keep the projects clean and slim and that definitely does help and I can actually get a full days work done with only one or two crashes (autosave is set at 1 min intervals).
Now I just want you stateside people's to know some facts about us in upsidedownland -
1. Australia has more taxes than any other country in the world
2. Australia has 3 times more politicians per head of population than any other country in the world
3. We NEVER put 'shrimp' on the Barbie as we call them prawns AND never drink Fosters.
4. The Australian dollar is about to be worth MORE than the greenback!

Sam Cole
On line Mastering Facility
FCP, Avid, Adobe
Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 21, 2010 at 11:30:12 pm

[Sam Cole] "But just reading these forums and Apple's own FCP forums it seems I am not the only one having FCP 7 crashing issues"

Walk into a hospital and you see that you aren't the only person who is sick, too. But this doesn't mean that there is an epidemic. It means that a few people are sick...or having problems with FCP. There are over 1.5 million copies out there you know...

[Sam Cole] " the crashes are mainly when dealing with XDCAM EX media and HDV media "

Ah...yes. GOP formats that are processor intensive. Use a ProRes sequence with this footage. DO NOT EDIT THEM NATIVELY. For shorter projects, fine. But long ones...problems.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 22, 2010 at 12:01:15 am

Shane is correct Sam. People generally come here for help, not to share their successes, so it can seem like problems are rampant, but that's just an illusion.

And, not one of the Cow leaders on this forum promotes editing HDV or other long GOP formats natively. You will often hear others, including some of the regulars here, telling us about their successes with native HDV editing, but I assure you, you're cruisin for a bruisin eventually if you do. ProRes is just better...

Meanwhile, it's a good thing you don't drink Fosters, but there are lots of other beers consumed down under, and we like that.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Michael McCurry
on Oct 29, 2010 at 7:07:38 pm

Crashing here too. 8 Core 24g of ram Brand new Machine, Brand new installs, working Prores at 1920x1080 and CRASH. It does seem like FCP 7 does not like Snow Leopard. It runs perfectly on my laptop with leopard and my 3 year old quad core.

Mike

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 29, 2010 at 7:30:21 pm

Have you done all the updates? Does Apple Software Update say, "Your software is up to date?"

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 29, 2010 at 11:29:43 pm

For the sake of accuracy -

1. Water doesn't necessarily flush the opposite to the northern hemisphere. The presumption of the Coriolis effect is a myth. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect#Draining_in_bathtubs_and_toile...
2. It's prawn not shrimp. We changed the name in the commercials so as not to confuse our less worldly northern friends.
3. No Australian drinks Fosters anymore. Once we made it taste like English and American beer to satisfy the export market, we gave it a wide berth.
4. Our hard drives, like yours are made in Singapore, China or Taiwan and spin the same way. The data on them however is more interesting.
5. Australian rates of tax are relatively high and production budgets low so we are consistently producing quality programs on a fraction of the budget and in less time. We do this by being relaxed and efficient. If we had the luxury of more time, we would take over this forum and ban all posts relating to audio sync problems and frame rates other than 25.

Normal prejudice can now resume....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]