FORUMS: list search recent posts

unique chroma key problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Johnson
unique chroma key problem
on Oct 20, 2010 at 5:33:35 am

My green screen chroma key is fine, but now my client wants me to remove the chair or make it white like the background so it's hidden. I tried duplicating the layer and isolating the chair with a garbage matte and adding a second chroma filter to key out the orange but that didn't work. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: unique chroma key problem
on Oct 20, 2010 at 7:32:40 am

You are looking at needing to use After Effects and do a lot of rotoscoping. Time consuming. You can tell your client yes, it can be done...but not cheaply.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Oct 20, 2010 at 1:57:46 pm

Shane is right. You will need to rotoscope that. There is to big of variation on the color of the chair caused by the shadow and many of the color tones there are to close to the color tones of his hair and face. I bet if you were to try and key it you would loose portions of the face and hair also.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Chris Johnson
on Oct 20, 2010 at 3:35:55 pm

yeah that's exactly what happened, which is why I thought I could create a second chroma filter and mask out just the chair so the face wouldnt be affected. obviously it didn't work.

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Return to posts index

Bob Auiler
on Oct 20, 2010 at 10:45:37 am

If he doesn\'t have be in the center of the frame, push him to the right until the chair is off screen, that\'ll give you real estate on the left to get creative and remove the chair.

Bob Auiler | bob.auiler@mvpcollaborative.com

Return to posts index

matthew bradshaw
on Oct 20, 2010 at 3:38:38 pm

You can do it in motion. How long it will take will depend on how long the shots are. I assume the chair doesn't move so you are only going to be working on the area where he overlaps the chair. The less he moves the easier it will be.
Matt.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 20, 2010 at 4:31:37 pm

Remember the mantra of TV production:
"You can get it good. You can get it fast. You can get it cheap. Pick any two."

As mentioned by others, you can roto out the chair, but depending on the length of the shot, it could be VERY difficult and VERY time-consuming. Will the client agree to your additional fees?

You could re-shoot the subject sitting on a stool: it's a LOT faster, and it may indeed be cheaper in the long run. Will the client agree to additional fees for a re-shoot, and can such a shoot even be arranged?

You can cheat on the roto work, letting tiny portions of the chair appear as the subject moves. It'll be fairly fast, there will be no re-shooting involved... but it won't look very good. Will the client tolerate less than optimum results?

In short, the client has to decide how badly he/she wants that chair to go... and how much he/she is willing to pay, wait or endure in loss of quality.

Or how much additional free work you're willing to eat to retain this client, which is a very bad idea indeed.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]