FORUMS: list search recent posts

EASY?? way to convert xd cam files (.mp4 to .mov) ??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Adams
EASY?? way to convert xd cam files (.mp4 to .mov) ??
on Oct 19, 2010 at 2:48:54 pm

hello all,

I am jumping over hurdle after hurdle trying to get XD footage shot by another camera op into final cut pro. I know all about all of the fcp plugins and have tried them all.

I believe that the other camera op made a mistake when putting all the files to a portable hard drive and the files structure is messed up... therefore Sony's XDTrasnfer, log& transfer & clip browser are UNABLE to import the files. I know that if one file is out of place - it screws up the whole import/transfer process.

So, my question is...is there ANY new fangled converter that will allow me to simply convert the XD .mp4 files to .mov files that fcp will recognize?? something like mpeg streamclip (which doesn't work, I tried it:(

help? before I go back to client and say..."sorry, I can't edit your files- the other guy screwed up"??

thanks for any help you can give...

Regards,

Tom Adams - Director/Owner
Reelife Documentary Productions
"cool digital video stuff...not boring or dumb"
http://www.reelifeproductions.com
Williamsburg, MA, USA

http://www.FolktographybyTom.com
Folktography.zenfolio.com

MacPro
FCP studio2
4TB Firewire Drives
Panasonic DVX100a & EZ1

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
Re: EASY?? way to convert xd cam files (.mp4 to .mov) ??
on Oct 19, 2010 at 3:18:53 pm

Hi Tom,

Calibrated MP4 is what you want. You'll be able to edit with the MP4 files themselves, then you use Media Manager to convert to MOV for grading with Color (if you need to).

However your problem with not having the correct directory structure is more than likely fixable. Can you post a screenshot of your directory? (Use the Column View in Finder)

Thanks,
Alex

Salad Daze Films - Freshly Tossed
Check out my latest addition to the Creative Cow Reels Section

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Oct 19, 2010 at 7:21:42 pm

Calibrated MP4 is a tad expensive for us cheapskates, is there anything cheaper/ free? XD

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
Degree; TV Production

iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800).

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Oct 20, 2010 at 9:06:30 am

The Sony XDcam transfer stand alone applicaton can convert MXF to Mov on any file structure, as long as the original MXF files are there.
(well, it rewraps as QT, so FCP can work with the files)

And it is free.

What more would you want?

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Tom Adams
on Oct 20, 2010 at 10:53:43 am

what more could I want...

something that converts the stuff ... even if the original MXF files aren't there....which, in this case, is the situation...

I used iskysoft video converter - $35. did the trick perfectly for me. Thanks for all the suggestions (sans opinions) everyone :)

Regards,

Tom Adams - Director/Owner
Reelife Documentary Productions
"cool digital video stuff...not boring or dumb"
http://www.reelifeproductions.com
Williamsburg, MA, USA

http://www.FolktographybyTom.com
Folktography.zenfolio.com

MacPro
FCP studio2
4TB Firewire Drives
Panasonic DVX100a & EZ1

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Oct 20, 2010 at 11:10:05 am

[Tom Adams] "even if the original MXF files aren't there....which, in this case, is the situation..."

If this was from an XDCAM-EX camera there shouldn't be any MXF files anyway. They record MP4 files, which was why I directed you to the Calibrated MP4 plugin.

It sounded like the directory structure had not been preserved correctly by whoever backed up the files. Calibrated ignores the directory structure and you just work with the MP4 files as they are.
With Sony Clip Browser it's possible to rebuild a directory back onto an SxS card, then you re-copy the card correctly. Out of interest are you able to post a screenshot of the directory so we can see what was actually missing? It will help people in the future if they have similar problems.

All the best,
Alex

Salad Daze Films - Freshly Tossed
Check out my latest addition to the Creative Cow Reels Section

Return to posts index

Deborah Sovierzoski
on Sep 1, 2011 at 11:35:22 pm

Hi,
I'm having a similar problem except that my directory seems fine! I can't see a problem, the only thing i can think of is that the footage was put onto an external HD and somehow that changed something.

That is the directory in pictures. I'm a bit lost as to where it's wrong, but i have downloaded ClipBrowser and now i have no idea how to fix my directory.

Return to posts index

Wei Xu
on Dec 27, 2012 at 7:44:32 am

Bros MOV Converter for Mac is designed to convert video to quicktime mov video format to play on ma os x, such as AVI to MOV Mac, FLV to MOV mac to play on QuickTime Media Player, besides converting mov mac, this MOV Converter Mac OS X can also transfer quicktime mov video files to iPhone, iPad, iPod and more mac devices.

You can try this function is very powerful Bros MTS Converter Mac software, there are those functions that you say, you can learn from it and see that you have no help.

Browser from Google search elements Keywords: Bros MOV Converter Mac you can find this powerful software.

Christmas more software discount promotions, affordable lot!Merry Christmas!

Emicsoft-Christmas Discount

OX PDF-Christmas Discount

Brosvideo-Chrismas Discount

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]