FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Camera Mapping"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Morter-Laing
"Camera Mapping"
on Oct 18, 2010 at 9:43:56 pm

How do I do this effect?

I appreciate there's a lot of ways to do it using CGI (eg making models) but that's obviously with a real bit of footage/ photo- also I DO know how to do bullet time using multiple cameras, but I get the impression you can do this digitally somehow? Is it a cleverly simulated bunch of photos? Or something else?

Any tutorials anywhere? :D

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
Degree; TV Production

iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800).

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: "Camera Mapping"
on Oct 18, 2010 at 9:55:40 pm

I can't see how you can do genuine perspective change on a still image except with a multi camera setup.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 18, 2010 at 9:55:58 pm

That looks like a phony version of the Matrix effect, which is done with a zillion still cameras set in a circle around the actors in 3D space.

This one is more like the "Kid Stays in the Picture effect" and appears to simply be a 2D kid on a skateboard either shot against a blue screen or rotoscoped, and then animated in 3D space using a compositing app. It's the changing relationships of the elements in the foreground and background and the rotation that sells it and makes it look like more than just 2D images.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 18, 2010 at 10:02:26 pm

Well spotted David. The perspective on the kid remains the same, just the foreground and background has perspective change. They have slightly changed the size and position of the skate kid to help sell the effect.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 19, 2010 at 12:17:02 am

Yes, as David say this made with a line of still cameras shooting at once. Freeze motion or so is called.
The Rolling Stones made few in a video clip of "Like a Rollings Stone". Astonishing
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 19, 2010 at 1:58:01 am

Camera mapping is a VFX technique where textures are projected through the camera onto geometry in 3D space. Essentially, you build out the basic geometry of the scene in 2.5D or 3D software, project photography onto the geometry, and move the camera around. Googling "camera mapping" or "projection mapping" will yield a lot of tutorials on the technique.

Multi-plane animation (as David describes) is a similar technique; with multi-plane animation, you cut a photograph into layers (at least foreground and background, but you could do as many midground layers as you like). Fill in the gaps with the clone tool, then bring all the layers into a 2.5D or 3D compositing app (like After Effects or Motion). Distribute the layers in z-space, adjust their relative scales, and animate the camera through 3D space to get the parallax effect you saw in the clip.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Oct 19, 2010 at 6:40:40 am

That effect was done with at least 3 completely different photos and some photoshop.

One photo with the background.
One photo of the middle ground with the back ground removed in photo shop.
And a third photo of some objects in the foreground with mid and background removed.

Each photo could possibly even be taken at different locations.

then its just a matter of animating each layer in FCP, motion, after effects or whatever.

Same basic thing done here

Yes it can be done from one photo but it takes a LOT of photo shop work to fill in parts that were originally covered by something else.

For example in the example link above notice that the guy in the back middle does not have a belly button because the guy who did the photo shopping did not photo shop one in.

It is easier and you get better results to plan ahead and take separate photos and then cut them into layers.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Oct 20, 2010 at 12:08:41 am

Yeah cool thanks for your help (s)- less so to the people who told me how the matrix things is done, because as i DID state, I do know how bullet time is achieved.... and my example wasnt with that. But now I know it was probably just cleverly manipulated freeze frames :D LAME! I was hoping for a 'yes you just use the ultra 3d plugin of awesomeness'...

Tom Morter-Laing
Degree; TV Production

iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800).

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Oct 20, 2010 at 5:38:14 am

[Thomas Morter-Laing] "I was hoping for a 'yes you just use the ultra 3d plugin of awesomeness"

Please NEVER say that to an editor again. The only "plugin of awesomeness" there is, is the person sitting in front of the computer.A talented, creative, individual who has a critical eye and the patience to do things that are often time consuming.

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Oct 20, 2010 at 10:28:12 am

I am an editor, so thanks for calling me a plug in of awesomeness :D

Tom Morter-Laing
Degree; TV Production

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Oct 20, 2010 at 1:53:41 pm

Thomas based on the fact that you have been asking a LOT of questions on e cow lately some even vary basic i can tell you are a relatively new editor. Now i don't mean any offense to you by saying this but when people ask for a "plugin of awesomeness" or a "magic plugin" i have found that that person usualy does not understand and respect all the hard work, knowledge, pacentce, and still that it takes to make a quality production. They often think that video is easy and anyone can do it and make it look good. I have known editors who are vary skilled and can do amassing things and editors who are not even worth a dv tape. Those editors who are not worth a thing are usually that bad because again they don't respect the fact that it takes a lot of work, and a lot of patience to make the end result look good. They take shortcuts when shortcuts should not be taken. Yes its always good to look for ways to get things done faster, but if your goal is to make a square then cutting corners will not get you there.

Basicly Thomas when you say things like "plugin of awesomeness" or "magic plugin" it that you do not respect the knoledge i have learned over the years, and the don't respect the sills and talents i have. And when another editor says things like that it really looks like they don't take what they do seriously.

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Oct 20, 2010 at 2:19:33 pm

Yeah so Im sorry if this is turning into an argument and I dont wish to cause offence either but do editors also not understand jokes these days?

Im fully aware that there is no 'plugin of awesomeness', and the 'basic' questions I have asked are purely to expand my knowledge. My tutor when I was at University told me it's irrelevant how much technical knowledge you have, as long as you can cut together a good story with timing (she's an ex ITV by the way). I've been editing for over 8 years, but have taught myself most of what I know.

There is also another editor of some huge programmes, which I wont mention for fear of implications, who says I have more "technical" knowledge than him, but he's obviously a better editor, because he's had about 20 years more experience than me.

The questions Ive asked here are only the GAPS in my knowledge, which I only have because of lack of teaching.... rather than lack of skill or time spent editing... you could spend 50 years in front of Final Cut Pro and not know the specifics of what 4.2.2 actually MEANS, or what the difference between square and rectangular pixels means in terms of how it displays in various programmes, but by god they'd be a good story creator.

Furthermore, a BBC commission was just won here by a guy who edited his own piece, and he has little or no technical knowledge, the timing was just perfect.

So it could be argued that by using 'technical knowledge' as a benchmark for me being a bad editor, you could be insinuating the same about yourself.... People at Apple probably have more technical knowledge than me about elements of FCP etc. An IT technician I know could probably answer many of the questions Ive asked here. But can I edit better than him?....yes.

I know it takes hard work.

Anyway, sorry if Ive taken anything out of context, but I felt the last comment was pointless, was not constructive and doesn't really help anything, on a forum which is supposed to be about help rather than lecturing...

If I HAVE taken it all the wrong way, and you were trying to offer friendly advice, then I apologise.

Tom Morter-Laing
Degree; TV Production

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Oct 20, 2010 at 2:23:07 pm

" And when another editor says things like that it really looks like they don't take what they do seriously"

-Yeah you could be right, OR that editor has a sense of humour, and is fully aware of the fact there is no magic plugin, but likes to make a joke every now and again...

Tom Morter-Laing
Degree; TV Production

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Oct 20, 2010 at 2:54:43 pm

Yes humor is important. However I personally don't find that manor of humor funny. I find it, belting and offensive because I take great pride in what I do.

I'm glad you are asking questions. That does show that you want to learn.

Yes the mist important thing in video is being able to tell the story. It's my opinion that an editor also needs to have a good core understanding of how video formats and other things effect the final product. With that story telling ability and core understanding they can then use just about any tool out there to get the job done.

Like i said before I ment no offence to you. I just felt that it was important to let you know that some editors will get offended by things like that as it can easily be taken the wring way.

I love the cow, one of the things that can make it difficult is that because it's all online when you may be trying to make a joke you cannot be sure that others will take it that way. As that don't personally know you your sence of humor nor can they read your body language to understand it is a joke.

Again I ment no offense. I've just had to many people make light of what I do and what I take great pride in by saying things almost exactly like that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]