FORUMS: list search recent posts

multiclip questions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Flood
multiclip questions
on Oct 18, 2010 at 9:14:20 pm

Gentlemen

i am using the multiclip feature of FCP 7.0.2 to edit a 2 hour documentary. My final edit consists of several seperate multiclips, plus the occasional graphic. I would estimate there are at least 500 editis in this program.

The original multiclips were made using Pluraleyes to synchronize footage from a 5D to footage and sound from HDV tape, from a sony Z10. All of the material was brought in to FCP XDCAM EX 1080p 29.97 1920 x 1080 so i could multclip it

Here are my problems, and my attempts to rectify

. I ran one of the streams, the HDV footage, through Color to get it ot match the 5D. I exported the corrected footage w 2 audio channels out of fcp and renamed the clips so FCP would reconnect to the Color result instead of the original, thereby saving me a huge scene by scene Color session. HOWEVER since the original HDV was captured w 8 channels of audio, and my newer version only has 2 audio tracks. It wont re-connect (i keep getting these prompts to make the clip independent.

I tried copying the sequence to a new project to reduce the dependencies, but i get beachballed. I tried exporting an XML to do the same, but i get some "critical error" and the XML dies. I tried both of these with the multiclips "collpsed" but it still beachballed and failed.

now here are my questions:

1. Can i Export my final Color version from FCP with 8 channels of audio instead of just 2? Can i somehow really flatten my sequences so its like i never used any multiclips? How can I replace the original HDV camera footage w the Color'ed and get it to relink?

I believe part of the problem is the way FCP deals with the multiclips sequences that plural eyes creates. My HDV footage can be up to 45 mins, but the 5D is only about 15, so if I sync as many 5D clips with a single HDV clip, i wind up with multiple angles in the resultant multiclip, because FCP makes each clip its own angle. This gets problematic becasue FCP is expecting to reconnect ALL clips the same length. I guess I should have been less greedy, and made a lot of shorter multiclips.

so if anyone can help answer my questions it would be great. If you want to tell me waht i did wrongm thats ok too, and if you just want to point m towards a resource im hunky dory w that.

thanx

"I like video because its so fast!"

Bob Flood
Greer & Associates, Inc.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: multiclip questions
on Oct 18, 2010 at 10:00:08 pm

Bob,

Fixing the issue you're having is not nearly as easy as copying the color correction to every matching clip in the original multiclip cut.

David

Return to posts index

Bob Flood
on Oct 19, 2010 at 3:21:35 am

Thanx David

thats waht i was afraid of!

Bob Flood
Greer & Associates, Inc.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 19, 2010 at 3:53:36 am

if your clips are the same lengths, what about copying and pasting audio tracks 3-8 into the new clips. I have done this in QT Pro 7.

Return to posts index

Bob Flood
on Oct 19, 2010 at 4:31:50 am

Micheal

I will have to try that! thanx!

Bob Flood
Greer & Associates, Inc.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Oct 19, 2010 at 5:38:25 pm

Can i somehow really flatten my sequences so its like i never used any multiclips?

the command is: Modify / Collapse Multiclips

so if I sync as many 5D clips with a single HDV clip, i wind up with multiple angles in the resultant multiclip

The way to deal with this is to create new master clips, one per camera angle:

lay out all the separate clips from the same 5D angle on one timeline track, spaced out to stay in sync with the longer HDV clip, and then use Export Movie to create a new clip. Repeat for each 5D angle.

The inability to use more than one clip per angle in a multiclip is a nasty FCP limitation, er, I mean "feature."

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]