FORUMS: list search recent posts

workflow for multiple source material in FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Naomi Kaminsky
workflow for multiple source material in FCP7
on Oct 18, 2010 at 5:18:26 pm

Hi. I'm new to EVERYTHING! Videotaping, editing, even asking questions correctly, so here it goes...

I'm on a Mac running OS 10.5.8 using FCP7. I need to develop a workflow for capturing, editing and compressing material from a variety of sources including:

iShowU (need proper settings)
HD cameras (Canon M30 and others using 16:9 anamorphic. Will need to crop to 4:3)
Existing footage in a variety of formats

My final videos will be .flvs to be viewed in a 4:3 window in a website AND a version will need to be available for hand-helds.

I'll be cropping, adding titles, etc. would like to render as little as possible (Unlimited RT?).

I pretty much need a "go here set this to that" level of help. If this is too much to ask in a forum, I'd be most grateful if someone could point me to an appropriate resource. I've been through the online tutorials, several professionals who work mainly with video from one source and my local faith healer.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: workflow for multiple source material in FCP7
on Oct 18, 2010 at 6:37:00 pm

Hi Naomi,
The main issue when mixing footage in FC, is to try have all the stuff in a common time base. Also some no-FC-friendly codecs should be avoided.
There is not a perfect formula, but I would start by building a Prores 4x3 Square pixels sequence and trying how it works the different kinds of stuff on it. Then try to address the problems you may find with any particular kind of footage.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Naomi Kaminsky
on Oct 18, 2010 at 7:00:03 pm

Thanks Rafael. I've tried using ProRes 422 NTSC (4:3) square and am loosing Unlimited RT, which is really helpful. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 19, 2010 at 12:22:56 am

You can't have every thing when you are off standards (don't know if other apps would do it better) .
I would be happy having Safe RT.
rafael

Return to posts index

Jerry Alto
on Oct 18, 2010 at 8:41:32 pm

Naomi- I agree with Rafael but would add that a video card (ie. AJA, Blackmagic) would speed up the process considerably. You could then convert WHILE digitizing into a common codec like ProRes with a common aspect ratio and framing. This could save you a LOT of time but will cost upfront money. If you have a lot of mixed format media the card will save you time AND money in the long run.
Jerry

MacPro 2.93 Quad
FCP7
Sony Z-1
GV-HD700

Return to posts index

Naomi Kaminsky
on Oct 19, 2010 at 1:41:22 am

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I'm going to try a few things tomorrow and see how it goes.

Return to posts index

Naomi Kaminsky
on Oct 19, 2010 at 4:47:09 pm

What would happen if I edit in ProRes422, 1920x1080i 16:9, square and put a .png along the timeline that defines a 4:3 ratio as a guide. After all the editing, delete the graphic, switch to Safe RT, render and export as QT movie using current settings. Then create a 640x480 4:3 sequence, bring the 16:9 .mov into the 4:3 timeline and export again as QT movie. Finally, bring the 4:3 .mov into Adobe Media Encoder and reformat to .flv. Is this dumb? Would anything blow up? I tried it this morning and it seems to work...

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 19, 2010 at 6:22:26 pm

Hi Naomi,
The problem is that with a PNG on top I don't know which RT performance you will get.
You can try some other kind of reference (some little stickers on the screen?) to keep the action in the center.
You can export through Compressor and do the cropping there (geometry tab). You can do the downsizing at the same time.
rafael

Return to posts index

Naomi Kaminsky
on Oct 19, 2010 at 6:37:42 pm

I am able to get Unlimited RT with the png on top. I'll try the compressor suggestion, but at least I have a plan B. Thanks again for your all your help!!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 19, 2010 at 9:52:29 pm

Hi Naomi,
If the PNG works, go ahead.
Compressor is a good solution for the rest of the process.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]